Does my husbands bad credit affect my credit???

The only thing we have Joint, with both our names is our mortgage. His credit cards (ie. Home Dept, etc.) are in his name only. Even the utilities are in his name only. But he pays them late.

Will this affect my credit since we are married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Unless you are super late & turned over to collections by the utility co's, that wont effect your credit or his. You each get your own credit reports, so unless he's late on the mortgage payment, which is also in your name, your credit should be okay. You can both get a free copy of all 3 credit reports once a year. You may want to take the time to do that. (*You may want to talk him into letting you take over the bills too- for his sake of course :p )
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• his credit affects yours

when i was married years back, he took off, could not find him to get a divorce for a year, he had drunk driving right before he left state, and my insurance dropped me, i explained to insurance co. that i did not live with him, or even know where he was, still his actions affected me
    same goes for credit
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• my husband brought my credit down. he kept losing jobs and when my oldest was born i got turned into a collection agency on state taxes he owed because we filed jointly:( and then the hospital bills because even though he lost his job two days before dd was born and they took out anther insurance payment they refused to pay the hospital bill. and i was told don't apply for help. if i had applied for help it then it would of been better. in the time we been married he has dragged my credit down. i am trying to straighten my credit out. but it is hard to for me because i have two special needs children that need me here. so i have to depend on his income. and he has lost several jobs. which in turn keeps me from getting it done. i want to get it done., i want to be in our own place again.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Definitely.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Seriously ladies? Credit scores are INDIVIDUAL- It doesn't change once you are married unless he pays YOUR bills late, or you get a joint account.

To be fair- him having bad credit can affect you personally- but as far as changing your score just because you're married. Nope- it won't change at all.

http://www.credit.com/life_stages/marriage_family/Marriage-Myths.jsp
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Right! I have terrible credit. 501 last I checked but my husband's is in the high 600's and continues to go up because all the utilities and bills are in his name and I make sure they are paid on time. We don't have any joint accounts. I knew I had bad credit when I married him and so far we have avoided his being brought down with it.
    Anonymous

• No, it will not cause you credit to be bad. As long as you aren't on his CC then it doesn't matter that he pays them late.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2011