Which car would be safest for this trip?

I am going to drive about 6 hours with my 4-yr-old in the car with me. I won't be driving my car (it is not in the best of health right now unfortunately). My choices are a DODGE DURANGO or a MINI COOPER.

My first thought was that the Durango would be safer because it's so big and the Mini is so small. But actually I'm not used to driving such a huge vehicle, so I wonder if that woul dmake it a little less safe. Then again, the mini is also a little different to drive - it has that "go-kart handling" they always advertise.

Both vehicles have oodles of safety features, both are new-ish, both in excellent condition, etc.

So... what do you think? Which would be safer?

(PSI care about fuel efficiency too, but not at the cost of safety - if it's safer, I WILL take the gas-hog!!)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 9:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Travel

• They are both safe vehicles, however, I do not believe bigger means better by any means, and crash tests will back that up. A Mini Cooper has the benefit of being far more maneuverable, so if you are an alert, defensive driver, and you are comfortable driving it, that would be my choice. It is much easier to get out of the way quickly in the MC. Color is another consideration. I am not sure if you're borrowing a vehicle or renting one, but brighter colors do keep you noticed. Bright red or yellow is far easier for other drivers to see than a charcoal grey that blends right in with the asphalt. Other precautions that increase safety are to always drive with your headlights on and if you have at least three lanes, stay in the middle so you have a place to go in either direction if another vehicle swerves into your lane or stops suddenly. continued .....

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• It depends. Even though you're not used to a bigger vehicle, would you still feel confident driving it? If so, I'd say go with the Durango. If not, then I'd go with the Mini cooper.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I wld def. go with the bigger vehicle!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My last, but not least, consideration would be how and where you son rides in the vehicle.  I recently drove 2200 miles between San Francisco and Indiana with my 3-1/2-year-old son.  My son rode in the center position of the rear seat.  He is on the smaller side and so he rode rear-facing in a five-point harness in a Radian XTSL car seat that can keep a child rear-facing up to 45 pounds.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thanks, S! You bring up a lot of good points. The Mini is yellow and the Durango is red, so they are about even there. I also thank you for the driving tips. I do plan to have Felipe in the center of the rear seat, if possible. (I know that's possible with the Durango but not sure about the Mini since it is so small). And actually, that brings up another really good point - my car seat. I have one that is huge - I wonder if it will even fit in the Mini...? That might make the decision for me!

Thanks to everyone for your repsonses!
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2011