Need helpful words

my daughter has autism
i do everything ic an to help her make this path less tough
was tested last july, was in moderate range
i thought she had made great progress in last 6 months
i had her retested a month ago-new doc, results can in mail yesterday - she has exact same score as last july, same amount of autism
i know only a number (well, more than a number if you have a child with this)
i had thought she would have fallen more into mild range, i really had myself believing that in a few years, (with all the therapies, and early intervention) she would fall off the spectrum all together.
but all her progress, was in my mind, and i was thinking with my heart

i can see how some parents with a child with delays, just except and not try to hard to battle the path of struggles, just except their child and try not to "cure" something which is not going to change

how to i still blaze her path, but except her fate of hurdles ahead

rough time
it is just me and her against the world
very hard for me to continue to see glass half full when the glass has a hole in the bottom and continues to drain

do not know where to put this, need words of wisedom, maybe words on life lessons and struggles, or maybe just prayers? so going into religion

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont think I would worry about the numbers on some test as much as I would the progress you said she has made. She will never be "cured" of her autism. But as long as you are in her corner advocating for her, she can accomplish many things. I have a developmentally delayed son, & was fortunate enough to have some wonderful teachers & para's who helped him along & learned life skills along the way. He graduated w/ a "B" avg. from HS & is working 2 days a week. He can fend for himself while I'm at work & is a pure joy. To know him is to love him. Hang in there mama. *Hugs*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i don' have a child with Autism yet, and i know from babysitting it is hard. U can still help her in words and her path u want her on, but when u go into get her retested and it is the same it is ok too feel bad but don't show it to ur daughter cuz she probably will pick it up. It sounds like to me u love ur daughter but are having a very time dealing with her Autism not her. Just remember she is smart in her own way but just needs extra help from u and others
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:41 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• yes, help her with her words
    has three therapists working with her
    yes, know she needs extra help, hence birth to three, then special education
    have changed her diet, worked on her vestibular and propreioceptive systems
    sensory processing issues, speech, behavior, transitions, social
    i have been on this path a while, this is not a babbysitting gig
    she is getting help from me and others, since i saw change at 20 months
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011