Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do with the dad who wants to come into babies life.

Well i have a daughter and i been raising her by myself fir a year, her dad has been locked up for about a 10 months he only was around her for about a month if that. and i moved on with my life but now he wants to come into here life but i want to go through the courts to do things the right way.. should i let him see her b4 i start the process..i need some advice.....PLEASE....


Asked by ameliamomo7 at 3:03 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • If you allow him to see her before the court hearing, that is completely up to you, based on how much you trust this guy and it doesn't sound like you trust him at all. If you decide this is how I would do it. I would tell him if he wants to see her he can come to my house every saturday at a specified time and visit with her for an hour or two in your presence. If he continues to do this and prove that he really wants to be a stable part of her life, I'd say for at least a month, then I'd talk about letting him see her more. But no way would I let him see her alone away from me until he proved anything.

    Answer by feesharose at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • my opinion maybe you should start the process and go through the court so he can have set visitation. you never know things could get messy . just to be on the safe side. just my opinion.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • I think you should go through the court system for legal visitation rights. I understand you have gone on with your life. Good for you. But You and DF have a common child. He wants to see his baby. Can you possibly set up a time with supervised visits? Even have a couple people with you if you don't feel comfortable by yourself. I don't know your circumstance. This would also give DH time to get to know him before being just thrown into an environment every other weekend she doesn't know. If he is not a threat to the baby she should know her dads side of the family. I feel it makes a child whole. Good luck hon.

    Answer by Xee at 4:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • You need to go to court and get visitation set up. The first few times that he sees her needs to be done at your house because your daughter doesn't know him.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • I think a lot depends on what he did that landed him in jail. If he's a sexual offender, then you certainly don't want him to see her unsupervised. You obviously trusted him at one point. You also know why or how he got into trouble. There are public advocacy offices in almost every town. Sometimes they are called county attorneys. If you have reason to be fearful at all, contact them and get their advice. If he went to jail for tax evasion or something similar, then by all means he should be allowed to see his child. She needs to get to know her daddy that her mommy chose for her.

    Answer by NannyB. at 8:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

Next question in Relationships
is this fair