OCD

Ladies, I suffer from OCD. I am living with my MIL and FIL along with my family. My OCD is getting worse and I feel like I am letting it overwhelm some of my everyday life. Any tips? Below is some of the things that I do that is apparently bothering others and I feel like it is affecting my everyday life. HELP!!

* When I put the towels away they have to be color coordinated( Blue with blue etc.)
* My kids socks and underwear have to be color coordinated (red shirt with red socks and underwear. ( I do the same with myself too)
* I smell my dishes to be sure you can smell the dish soap rather than food or our hard water.
* Toys have to be put into seperate boxes in order.
* Things have to match or it will bother me.

AbbeyKAy

Asked by AbbeyKAy at 9:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Health

• you put this in home and garden lol. i do understand. i have a specific way glasses must be in cabinet. dishes must always be done in this order plates,glasses,bowls,silverware , pots and pans. towels must be folded a certain way. when nephew was here he had to have his shirt tucked in of course it was more for i did not think it looked appropriate to see his underwear. clothes washing it must be shirts colored, jeans colored etc. my daughter likes to wear things that do not match it drives me crazy. I wish i could offer answers to help it seems i am in same bolt. now if i could do it with the rest of my cleaning lol

WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Are you an actual diagnosed case of OCD? Are you medicated? Do you have anxiety symptoms if things aren't done your way? Sweating, panic attacks, obsessive thoughts, fears associated with not having things done your way?

Personally, I think what you've described isn't all that irritating or problematic. If you are content to do these things yourself and aren't pressuring anyone else to adhere to your standards, I don't see why anyone should bug you. if you are pressuring others, or have extreme symptoms, it might be helpful to seek therapy for the issues. Find a cognitive behavioral therapist to help you develop alternate coping methods to the rituals.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I just realized what category I some how put this under. I am so sorry!
    AbbeyKAy

Comment by AbbeyKAy (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I completely understand how you feel. I also take Buspar and it's amazing! I no longer feel trapped by my obsessions. But medication alone is not the only answer. Talk to someone. Therapy is very helpful. You can gain the tools necessary to overcome the very challenges that overtake your everyday life.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 11:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Good luck
    1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 4:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2011