Is it appropriate to tell people what your child wants as a birthday gift?

This is if they ask of course...Or do I respond by saying "I'll leave it up to you, whatever you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i always tell people what my child is interested in.. its better than them spending money on somthin he wont use :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If they ask i tell them
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If they ask, go on ahead and tell them.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• YES!  I think it's VERY appropriate.  On birthdays in our home we don't give actual presents.  They get presents year round.  Birthdays we get cake and take them some place fun.  I've taken them to a few birthday parties and I would have LOVED if I would have gotten an actual answer on what their kids like instead of having to guess.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think so, because all kids like different things. I just went to a birthday party of a boy who is my son's age and I asked and the kid is really into the Imaginex toys. So I was glad I asked, b/c my son would never play with those (cars, spiderman is what rules in my house) This boy is not interested in Spiderman at all, I wouldn't have bought something he wouldn't play with just b/c I think most little boys like the same things.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• if the ask then i tell them what the kids are intested in at that time (ie lego's , crayons, books etc) but i never tell one one exactly what to get
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• yup :) i always include gift ideas in the birthday invite as helpful hints. i don't care what they get, but i know when i give presents i love to see them super excited when they get it...i want to give the other parents that same feeling.
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If they ask, it's fine to suggest a few items that your child would like.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I always give ideas on things she is interested in. Or what things she is in to.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes, if they ask. That's why they ask!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011