What nursery rhymes do you find disturbing?

It's raining, it's pouring; The old man is snoring. Bumped his head. And he went to bed. And he couldn't get up in the morning

I am glad he's snoring or we wouldn't even know he's alive!

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 9:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Rock a by baby.. in the tree top
    when the wind blows, the cradle will rock
    when the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
    and down will come baby, cradle and all?!?!?!?!

My question is, who in their right mind even thought to write some of these?
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would have to admit it's "Little Miss Muffet". When i looked up "curds" and "whey" the definition really turned my stomach!

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i dont like the prayer now i lay me down to sleep,i pray the lord my soul to keep if i die before i wake i pray the lord my soul to take.
    my daughter and i say
    now i lay me down to sleep i pray the lord my soul to keep may angels watch me through the night and wake me with the morning light amen
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• rock a bye baby, its raining its pouring,humpty dumpty, i mean he falls and breaks and noone can put him together again. curds and whey is nothing but cottage cheese do not know why they do not say cottage cheese in little miss muffett. and a old woman living in a shoe come on if i were living in a shoe i would not have kids rofl
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Ring Around A Rosey
    Pocket Full Of Posies
    Ashes, Ashes
    We All Fall Down!

This one is about the Black Plague, so yeah, I find it disturbing.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• None of them. They were written during a time that oral history taught a lesson. The little fairy tales had a moral and the children understood them. Maybe we should resurrect the morals and embrace the stories and rhymes.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Humpty Dumpty. Since it feels like my life!! I don't like any of them that seem to have any meanness in them!! I'm always a Nice Matters person!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• ~*MOST*~ can be disturbing if you know the history of them! Hahaha

Take "Ring Around the Rosies"... was a song for the Plague! The signs of the disease, "Pocket full of Daisies" means they'd die, "Ashes" was about having to burn the bodies so it wouldn't spread any further... and soon "they all fall down" as the disease was spread
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• None - I love the history behind them. Nursery Rhymes were the original cautions to children. And if you read the ORIGINAL Fairy Tales, ones that haven't been edited to make them "nice", they are gruesome cautionary tales. I LOVE them!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Humpty Dumpty is FREAKING ME OUT !
    That's a thriller, no nursery rhyme !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011