False Positive?!

Has anyone had a false positive pregnancy test? About 2 months ago I did an ept digital pregnancy test and it said in clear words PREGNANT I made a doctors appointment where they did there own pregnancy test and it came back negative. I had a blood test which came back incunclusive I had HGC hormone but they didn't know if it was a real pregnancy, a very early pregnancy or if my hgc level was just that number. They told me to go the following week to check but within 2 days I started bledding a lot. I called my doctor and they said that I was probably having a miscarriage I went to the hospital where they told me that I was never pregnant and it was a very heavy period but that was it. Now, I missed my period took a test (not ept) and it came back positive. I told my fiance but he brushed it off because of what happened last time. I'm makign an appointment tomorrow but has this happened to anyone?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 3:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• oh wow that must be so confusing for you!! My tests came back positive and I was pg both times. They should check your hormone levels. you may have unusually high or low levels causing the false positives AND possible miscarriage. Good luck!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• How frustrating!!
    I knew that I was having a miscarriage so I went to the hospital. They told me that I wasn't pregnant. I insisted that I was. They drew blood again but this time they counted the quantative and not the qualitive levels in my blood. When they came back, they said that I was pregnant and having a miscarriage. So, some hospitals don't even test both of the numbers.
    (quantative or qualitive...I may have them switched up :o)
    SO, I would go with your gut. You know your body better than anyone does.
    Good luck!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I did have a false positive once. Of course there is always the possiblity that I could have miscarried and not known. Good luck!
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 3:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Wow... thats got to be driving you nuts... is there such a thing as a false neg?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• There are (supposedly) false positives, but NEVER false negatives with hpt's.......something I heard a long time ago........Hope it helps....
    ZachsMom1106

Answer by ZachsMom1106 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I've always been told that a false positive is almost unheard of and usually indicate a very early miscarriage. False negatives happen all the time. If you test too early, your levels may not be high enough for the test to read, hence a false negative. (why most tests will tell you to test again in a few days if you get a negative but still think you are pg) My guess would say the hospital really didn't want to deal with you and in truth there wasn't much they could have done anyway so they sent you home. I've never heard of an inconclusive blood test, though.
    pennyfred

Answer by pennyfred at 9:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I had a false positive once. The test (meijer brand) came back positive 2 days before my period, but when I took a Walmart brand one the next day it came back negative with first morning urine. I got my period right on schedule. My guess is an early miscarriage because my period was heavier and crampier than it normally would've been. I never had it confirmed because at that time I just took it as my period and a crappy test.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• "False Positives" usually indicate a chemical pregnancy, in which the egg is fertilized but fails to implant or complete implantation. Your body will generate a small amount of hCG that can be picked up on a pregnancy test one day, and then it will be gone the next. There is no such thing as a "False Positive", really. A lot of women will have a chemical pregnancy and never even know it.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 7:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009