Biscuits and gravy

I want to make gravy tomorrow morning and the last time i did it tasted awful, got the recipe off recipes.com, does anyone have a good one that they would share with me?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I use bacon or sausage grease also. Here's my recipe, but you have to season it to your taste (salt and pepper)
    2 Tbsp bacon/sausage grease
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 cup of Milk
    Salt and Pepper

Mix together or brown the flour and grease (do not burn it) your just doing this until it's combined.
    Mix in your milk (you can do half milk and half water too) Stirring constantly bring it to a creamy consistency. You have to stir constantly so it doesn't burn or clump. So you sort of have to multi task here. Make sure you have all your ingredients out and ready....if you feel it's to thick add a bit more milk. But make sure you add salt and pepper and keep tasting until you get what you like.

You can also fry some ground breakfast sausage up drain well (remember to save your drippings) and mix it in with your finished gravy for sausage biscuits and gravy. Good Luck... Mine tasted nasty the first couple times too lol.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i just fry sausage and bacon and then when it gets done i slowly start adding flour to the skillet until its mixed in with the grease and then slowly add a little bit of water at a time to it and keep stirring it around i keep the eye turned up on med/high u just stir it til it gets thick. I never really measure anything out its just something i've learned to make from years of practice. good luck
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I make bacon and use the grease then add flour until it's brown, add seasoning then add milk until you get the right consistency and remove from heat

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Sausage Gravy
    ½ lb. Pork sausage
    2-3 Tablespoons sausage drippings, bacon drippings or butter
    2-3 Tablespoons flour
    2 cups half & half or milk
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Fry sausage, crumbled, and remove from skillet. You should have 2-3 Tablespoons of drippings left in skillet. If not, add bacon drippings (which give it a wonderful flavor) or butter. Turn heat to low. Add flour, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add half & half or milk and continue stirring (a whisk is good for this task) until it begins to thicken. Return sausage to skillet and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.
    I usually fry ½ lb. of bacon or sausage, formed into patties, to have along with the biscuits & gravy.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• **sorry i didnt mean water i meant milk or cream or you can do half and half
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Put equal amounts butter & flour in a sauce pan. Heat and whisk til it's browned. Add milk (take the number of tablespoons of butter you used, halve it, and use that many cups of milk - if you use 4 tablespoons each of butter & flour, you need 2 cups milk). Keep whisking til it's thick & bubbly. Salt & pepper to taste. I actually prefer to use Wondra flour, because you have to cook the regular flour to get the raw taste out. Stir in your pre-cooked sausage.
    Anonymous