Step son continues to have headlice when we get him on the weekends!

Since before christmas, my 6 year old step son has continued to come home to us on the weekends with headlice. The first weekend I found them and he said that he did not want me to tell his mother because then she would be mad at him thinking he told me he had them. So she knows, and continues not to tell us that he has it. The first weekend I checked everybodies head and we all were treated and I did the normal cleaning routine with bedding, furniture, ect. We told her we found it on him and have cleaned, treated and told her she should consider the same, because we were not sure if he got it at school or from us (even though we didn't have any on us, we do have kids and lice happens) The next weekend he had new nits, so I treated, washed his clothes, we retreated and did the house routine again. Since then we know check him at the door, put him in the tub, are now using olive oil treatments, picking nits, and washing his clothes and drying everything, We keep all our boys in short buzzes just in case and I am growing beyond frustrated because it seems they are doing nothing. We skipped a weekend last week due to me just having a baby, my hubbies work schedule, and I cant drive, This weekend we more than made up for it because I lost count of actual live bugs and nits.....we buzzed his head, against his mothers permission and I really do not want him to go home, His little ears even have little bites on them.....What are our options to help him, if any and what would you do? I am at a loss and not sure.

ambernicole531

Asked by ambernicole531 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• document it take pictures and try to get custody is all I can think of
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 10:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would also like to add that we do tell her everytime we find them and every weekend she says OK Ill keep checking him. We have made the 2 hour trip to pick him up once and did not take him once because of it, but we dont feel that is fair to him.
    ambernicole531

Comment by ambernicole531 (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Is lice enough of a reason for custody?
    ambernicole531

Comment by ambernicole531 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Wow! I usually do not put people down but his Mom seems kinda worthless, she is not doing what she is suppose to and that is not right, she hasn't cleaned her house properally to get rid of them, has your husband talked to her about it? Can you guys keep him until she cleans the house and bags the stuff?
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If it were me I would talk to my husband about doing something to help his son. I am not sure how the law works were you are, although if the mom has custody and you have visitation then I am not sure if you can just keep him. I think if you and your DH are willing to try and get custody you have a great case. You could also look into calling DSS, only if you DH agrees with you on it. They might be able to step in and have him removed from the home, although I am not sure if they would just let him go with you.

Poor little boy, sounds like his mom is really not taking care of him very well.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Not sure if this is a true theory or not, but when I was working at the salon, a lot of people that worked in the school system, swore by teatree oil. They said it prevented the lice.... I've never tried it though, so just passing on what I heard...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I don't know if its enough of a reason to get custody but since it continues to happen it could be a sign of neglect at home. I would let the court or whoever know.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• oh, MY, IS he school age? if he is, report it to the school---they they will take care of it----really, the nurse will keep checking him and send him home until treated and if it keeps happening, the health department will then make a home visit and she will be forced to take care of the problem----we had one family in my sons' school that this happened too. You also need to put all stuffed animals in a plastic bag and spray inside it and seal it up for at least 2 weeks. Sorry you are having to go thru with it----and if it continues, call social services. I can bet she probably has them too at this point----I got it once from my sons----it was awful---I had long hair at the time.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 10:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Its time to call CPS since its gone on this long. We had the same problem with my step son with scabies but he lives with us and goes over to her house for the weekends. We told her we were going to call if she didn't clean/ treat her house because its was very painful for my step son to go through. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My brother went through the same thing with his kids. Difference is he has full custody, so he told her their bi weekly visits would end until the problem was solved at her end. He has 4 kids with his ex, and 1 step daughter. The 5 of them constantly had lice!
    I don't know if it's an option for you to keep him with you until she gets rid of this PEST problem (yah, nasty bugs crawling on that poor child's head *shudder*), or maybe it isn't if he goes to school in another district. (If he's school age, that is.)
    Does your husband have a custody lawyer? If so, I'd certainly say he should consider asking their advice in this.
    Good luck. Lice are awful!
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2011