Can supplements help my child's anxiety disorder?

My child has a severe anxiety disorder and his doctors are convinced he needs an SSRI to help him cope. I have eliminated dairy and gluten and also do the feingold diet but it hasn't helped.

jedi_mom

Asked by jedi_mom at 10:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Health

• you can try Omega 3-6-9; magnesium and B-complex vitamins. All of those help the nervous system and reduce anxiety. Do be careful about getting the dosage right. Buy preferably whole foods vitamins made for children and don't overdo it. Talk to someone who owns or works in the supplements section of a health food store, or go to Dr. Sears website--he sells some specific products for supplementing children.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 10:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• the website is: www.askdrsears.com
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 10:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Charlottej is dead correct.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• is your child seeing a therapist?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, he sees a psychologist every week. He also has sensory processing disorder, ADHD and OCD.
    jedi_mom

Comment by jedi_mom (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would not add any extra supplementation without getting an approval from his pediatrician. The people who work in the health food stores are not experts on the biology of a child. There are pediatricians who are well versed in holistics, however, and it is of ever so much importance to make sure that you are not hurting your child's system. Trust your instinct about the SSRI's . . . . they can be really useful, but you know your child the best, and if it makes you feel uncomfortable, don't be pushed.
    There are other therapies that can be very helpful when added in . . .ask your psychologist about adding another short-term treatment on like TFT or biofeedback. If you happen to be in the LA area, I know of a TFT therapist who is fantastic. If not, I can probably help get you a referral to wherever you are.
    Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• would you consider a homeopath? or a chiropractor?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would love to try a homeopath or chiropractor but no one is interested in seeing him because he is only 5. :(
    jedi_mom

Comment by jedi_mom (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Good luck
    1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 4:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i have only met one homeopath, and she sees children, and i have never heard of a chiropractor that would turn a child away. my husband is a chiro, and is seeing a child with a few different issues, similar to your son, the parents are seeing improvements.
    call around and i am sure you will find someone!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2011