Pets!

i wount to get a pet but i need one that is good for kids i have 5 littel kids. So I Need something that can haddel that. Any Ideas?

sh_mommy

Asked by sh_mommy at 10:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Pets

• You don't mention the ages of your children, but I would suggest you wait until your youngest is old enough to know to leave the pet food alone, the pet is not a toy, etc. It will make for an easier transition for you, the kids, and the new pet.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Another question should be can THEY handle that? How old are they? Are they old enough to know how to be gentle & to help take care of whatever pet you decide to get? If you have the time, patience & room (big yard), I am partial to labs & lab mixes). They are a wonderful part of our family & known to be very family oriented. I'd like to suggest you check your local shelter. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• LAB! they are one of the best dogs for kids of any age.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Try getting a full grown cat from a shelter NOT a kitten, the kids will torture the poor thing and it will grow up mean. If the cat is already full grown it can take care of itself and there are way more adult cats that need homes than kittens. A dog will defend itself with worst results than a cat, and anything smaller than a cat will get squished. Little kids DO NOT know how to be gentle enough for small animals ( gerbils, mice, hampsters, anything small). I worked at a petting zoo and the baby chicks were regularly killed by small children "holding" and "petting" them. If this pet is for your kids, you should wait until they are old enough to be responsible. But if its for you maybe you should evaluate your situation and decide if you have time and space for a pet, as well as a home where one can be happy. Think about it from the animals point of view, not yours. Sometimes its just selfish to get a pet you can't care for.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Dogs r gentle. It depends on the breed. I raise beagles. They r great dogs and good protectors for the family. I have been around dogs all my life, and beagles seem to be the best pet for kids of all ages.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My youngest is 11 months and my oldest is 9 and we have a boxer and 2 cats. The cats stay away from them but the boxer loves all of our kids especially our 11 month old.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 12:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Dogs are very patient, Cats would be nice for kids in their 7+ years because they are easily timid and hide! Maybe a bunny!
    dreamcatcher13

Answer by dreamcatcher13 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Every person will have a different opinion on this.
    The BEST PET FOR YOU, IS THE ONE YOU WILL LIKE : Love at first sight !

Take your kids to a pet shop and let them tell you what excites them !
    Make them promise they'll take care of it, love it and clean after it.

lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Take your kids to the local shelter and find a pet they like. You should be able to take individual animals out to see how they interact and how well behaved the animal is. They will also vaccinate and spay or neuter the animal before they go home with you. So make sure you explain to your kids that the pet may not come home that day if it's a dog or cat. I don't think they fix guinea pigs or hamsters or anything like that.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• bulldogs are wonderful!!
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011