Can you over treat your clothes while trying to get stains out?

I soaked my white clothes in 1 cup of White Brite and 2 Gallons of water. I then washed them in 1/2 cup of White Brite along with my normal laundry detergent and added an extra rinse to make sure the White Brite came out of the clothes. I dried normally. The once dingy whites are now bright and beautiful and a yellow shirt turned yellow from bleaching is now it's normal off white color again. However, it did not remove the set in stains. After doing some research, I found that I can soak the clothes in OxiClean and baking soda and that if I do it enough, the stains should come out.
Has anyone ever treated set in stains with OxiClean before? Is it possible to over treat the clothing? Both White Brite and OxiClean say they are safer than bleach. Neither of them have chlorine in them.

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 10:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• For tough stains I find 3% peroxide works best. My SO says they use it on carpeting all the time. It comes in a convenient little pump spray bottle. I've seen amazing results for blood, grass, wine, etc.

chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 11:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Pulled some instructions up on ehow for you.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2199283_use-hydrogen-peroxide-remove-stains.html
    good luck!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 11:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, you can over treat your clothes. Too much of the harsher chemicals made to make "whites whiter" will break down the fibers in the fabric and create holes. I find the best way to treat stains is to treat it immediately with a stain treater like shout or spot shot (found with carpet cleaners) and the LET IT SIT for a couple of days before washing.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011