Anyone have migranes? How do you deal with them?

I've recently started getting them, probably the last couple of years. Everyone else in my family gets them, so even though I haven't gone to the dr, I'm sure that's what it is. Just wondering if there's anything you can do to help them without taking a bunch of pills. I have a hard time taking pain medication, it always makes me sick!

mom2XandZ

Asked by mom2XandZ at 3:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Health

• Diet is a major cause, so eliminating anything that can trigger a migraine. Supplements that can help ease or ward off a migraine are:
    Chasteberry Formula, Feverfew, Lavendar Oil (for external use on, say temples only), Linden Flower, Scullcap.
    Hormonal imbalances in woman can also be a big cause of migraines, thus why they show up around menstrual cycles. Feel free to pm me for more info about what you can do! There are great progesterone creams available. Always check to make sure a natural supplement isn't going to interact with other meds you are on.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have been getting them quite frequently since I had my youngest son. My doctor prescribed Fiorecet. That helps take the edge away and when I feel the migraine come on I take one of them and it seems to help ease the headache away.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 4:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I also have problems with prescription painkillers...they make me sick to my stomach. My dentist actually told me something that really helps...take 2 motrin and 1 tylenol together, along with something that has caffeine, like coffee or tea. Put a cool cloth on your head and rest in a dark & quiet spot until the edge is off.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I take a couple Aleve, sometimes more, although I certainly would not recommend this, but I get desperate. I lie down with a cool cloth or a heating pad on my head, whatever feels better at the time. And I try to sleep until the worst of the pain is gone. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Have you checked to see if the migraines are diet related? My oldest brother (48) and my youngest daughter (15) suffer from migraines- recently after years of not knowing why we found out the cause was nitrates and nitrites used as food preservatives. Many lunch meats and foods like bacon and hot dogs, sausage have one or both of these.
    I hope you find the cause as well as relief!
    barefoot4x

Answer by barefoot4x at 8:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My migraines kept getting worse and worse and I finally figured out what it was. The Pill. So, I had the Essure procedure done on Sept. 30 and stopped taking the pill. I haven't had a migraine since!!! I still have my prescription when I need it, but haven't needed it! I also get really sick with a lot of medications, but there is a new migraine pill out there called Frova (you can google it). My OB/GYN hadn't even heard of it, that's how new it is. It was prescribed to me by my family dr who I am still working with to track headaches and potential migraines. Frova didn't make me sick, and doesn't knock you out as bad as other migraine medicines. Can't say enough good things about it!
    icook

Answer by icook at 10:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• put a teaspoon of coloidal silver under your tongue and hold there for as long as possible. Magnesium deficiencies are also to blame. Take a multi-vitamin that has magnesium in it. caffeine helps! I use Relpex - prescription....works great. Another "trick" I use is to rub vicks on your temples and into the scalp where the pain is most intense. You smell LOVELY but it really really works!! I do this for my kids who also get migraines.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2008