How do I get my toddler to drink whole milk?

She is currently breastfed, and I am ready to start adding some whole milk to her diet. She is a year old, and I will still breastfeed her most of the time. The problem is...she won't drink the whole milk. Can I mix half BM and half whole milk to get her used to the taste? I've heard of people doing this with formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That sounds like a great idea to me. Good luck!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Start out with one fourth milk, or less, then slowly increase every week.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:33 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Try and see what happens.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You most certainly can mix it, but keep in mind that if she doesn't drink it all you have to toss the entire glass it cannot be kept due to bacteria possibly multiplying in the whole milk. Make sure you start out with small amounts and I would start out with 1/4 whole milk and just slowly increase it. You could also try serving the whole milk warm since that is how she is used to getting her breastmilk and see if that helps. My daughter hated cold milk, but would drink it warm.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:50 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We had. Tough time with my dd. We were told to start with small amounts, and increase. Didn't work, we tried warming the milk, didn't work, finally, after doing a lot of research and talking to our dr, we warmed the milk, and added just a little strawberry nesquick to her milk. Now, she drinks milk, and even asks for it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• would you consider not giving cows milk at all? it really is not natural...you wouldn't suck right from the cow, so why drink milk from a cow that was given lots of hormones to produce unnatural amounts of milk? dairy is the number one food intolerance. mammals consume milk during the infant stage only. my kids all went from breast milk to water. they get calcium from green veggies and they get vitamin d from the sun.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I had the same issues, she was 19 months. I put a tad (like one tsp) of my sugar free coffee creamer in the milk! She would just hog it down!
    I thought she just needed some of the sweetness like momma milk. Pretty soon she would take regular milk no problem
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You can try that. good luck.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• try mixing in a chocolate or strawberry syrup.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• She does not need any cow milk. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2011