want to create jobs? go green. do you think this can work?

Duke study says 'going green' will grow jobs in U.S.

For all their talk of building a green economy — one flush with jobs that help protect the environment — most politicians have not said exactly where the new jobs would come from. A new study from Duke University tries to fill in the gaps.

Released Tuesday and sponsored by the Environmental Defense Fund, the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers and labor unions associated with the AFL-CIO, the report said the nation's manufacturing sector could be a significant beneficiary of the green movement.

"Some people have tried to pit the environment against the economy," said Marcy Lowe, a co-author of the report. "But it's not an either, or."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You know what has driven me crazy for over half my life?!?!? That recycling isn't a mandatory matter. Building and organizing all the necessary aspects to make this happen would create and maintain jobs....picking it up like the garbage men we already have, the workers at sites to sort it, workers to run the recycling plants....just for starters. Then we would have less than half the waste in landfills. Sometimes I wonder why politicians and those types of individuals are so much more worried about their checking account rather than the good of this environment. We have managed to completely trash this earth in less than 100 years.....and it will not go on. What ever your beliefs are, a time is coming where the earth will correct itself as well as a higher power.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Researchers evaluated the value chains of five carbon-reducing technologies, including LED lighting and high performance windows. A value chain encompasses the steps in creating a product and helps illustrate where people are needed in the process.

A high-performance window, for instance, has about 10 components, the report said. And each component requires materials and labor to produce. People have to create glass and frames and foam. They have to move the windows from factories to stores.

The report cites Durham-based Cree, which makes chips used in LED lighting, as an example of the growth possible in the green industry. Since 2002, its work force has almost quadrupled to more than 3,000 employees.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Wouldn't this make people lose jobs also? I'm all for going green, but making some new jobs to go green would also get rid of other jobs that aren't so green.

ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 4:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think it would be great if we can go green and create jobs at the same time. we need more jobs.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• And to add to that.....I used to live in Lancaster PA for a short time growing up and can remember going to the market where we got our milk and juice. They came in glass jugs that you returned at your next visit, were steralized and refilled. Why don't more places do this? Convenience!!
    Same with solar power for our homes, all the oil companies would loose money, and that is why it isn't a more standard application....along with wind power, water power, etc.
    People are just selfish and materialistic. There are so many things that should be done to make things better for this earth and our health, but the government will not worry about it until it is too late.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• MissHeidi0304 In some states is mandatory. I lived in NY where it is mandatory and I loved it. Move to FL and here is not mandatory and even though the county provides reccling containers free of charge many don't recycle. it truly is a shame.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• MissHeidi0304 - Great answer! I do think that "going green" will create more jobs! The more wind and solar power we use, the more manufacturers will be needed.  The same for recycling. 

Going green doesn't mean stopping jobs. It means creating new ones and getting rid of some old ones.   Look at the solar panel industry. Solar panels on homes were impossible 10 years ago. But now are more reasonable.  My husband just build a house with solar panels (with generator), septic tank, and fireplaces.  It is completely off grid. 

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• YES WE CAN!!
    mommaforobama

Answer by mommaforobama at 12:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2008