White or dark Karo?????

I've heard some people say to only use dark karo... others say to use white karo. So which is it? Or does it even matter? And how often can you use it? I don't want to make my one month old sick by using it repeatedly.

Asked by EMTcassie at 3:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the dark when she was constipated. It seemed to work and she never got sick.

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I use dark

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• yea it is dark karo and it does work so you shouldnt have to use it repeatedly

Answer by jodi205 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Neither, botulism risk with it. Thats from the makers mouth!

Answer by kristinlimon at 8:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't give an infant sugary syrup.

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• NOT a good idea. From KARO SYRUP THEMSELVES: Should Karo syrup be used for infant feeding?
    We are aware that some health care professionals suggest feeding Karo syrup to infants in a formula or for relief of constipation. Because corn syrup, like many other foods is not a sterile product, there is a remote possibility that it may contain C. botulinum spores. Karo is not specifically intended for infant feeding, we suggest you consult your pediatrician for advice.

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Knoxvilledoula- thanks for posting that! But isn't it funny that formula says the same thing? That its not a sterile product. Its caused botulism too but people feed it to their babies! Lol

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It is TanyraR -- partly because formula HAS HFCS in it (high fructose corn syrup!) so of course it has a chance of botulism, particularly if it is past the exp date.

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My doctor said not to use Karo, but brown sugar instead. I forget the ratio to water, but ask your pedi what he recommends. It worked just as well if not better than the Karo I used with my older children.

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I used dark karo for constipation it's about a teaspoon in 2-3 onces of warm water. But you can also try babies Pear juice, Gerber makes it. Find it with the baby food. And I mix 1 once juice, 2 onces water. Warm it like a bottle, because cold things in a babies belly really irritates them.

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2008