Question Please Help

Hello. So yesterday I had a doctors appointment for my nine month old daughter. I asked how (when I feel me and her are ready) I stop breastfeeding. I wasnt quite happy with the answer. She told me that I pretty much just stop and deal with the crying phase until shes ok with not breastfeeding. Well my daughter isnt really a fan of baby food, and the boob is pretty much her method of food. I also made the mistake of letting her get soo attached that its how she falls asleep and whatnot, shes pretty much given up on binkies. So heres my situation, telling me to just stop, to me was like saying just let her starve, adn I cannot imagine her bawling all the time because she cant sleep and is soo hungry. It came across really cruel to me. Any advice because I dont think I can just stop and let her "tough" it out.

IzysMomma

Asked by IzysMomma at 11:39 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not an expert, as I am pregnant now with my first, but I have read that at 6 months it is crucial that you start your baby on baby food, even if its a smashed banana or a cooked sweet potato, also smashed, because milk does not give your baby all the vitamins and minerals they need. You can still breast feed, I've heard to over a year, but they need some solid food too. About your doc's advice, maybe you need a new doc. IDK
    Waitaminute808

Answer by Waitaminute808 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I dont know how to wean from the breast, I pumped for my kiddos! However, I do know that solid food is crucial for jaw development and speach skills. Even if she isnt really interested it is truly important to keep trying!!! It took me awhile to get DD to eat from the spoon, she wasnt into baby food from the jar, but once I started making my own baby food she never looked back!! GL with this, im sure there are some EBF mamas that can help you with weaning!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• all is not lost and your dd is not going to suffer. You probably realize by now that she understands a lot of what you say. So start talking about a "big girl" and drinking out of the cup and eating food like mommy and daddy. Start playing food games....put her in her high chair while you are cooking and give her little bits of soft things to play with and taste. Make it fun. Buy a couple of sippy cups and tell her she can have them when she's "being a big girl". Put breast milk in the cup to start. Whatever you do, make it fun and YOU can NOT be anxious. Once she starts liking what you give her, and it's fun for her, you can start weaning. I have an acquaintance who was still breastfeeding her 4 year old. I thought that was a little much, but the child was fine/ healthy. good luck. You will both be fine.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You certainly are not an expert and have been given bad advice. There is no need to start children on baby food before they are 12 months old. In the first 12 months breastmilk or formula is their only needed source of nutrition and baby food is simply for practice. That being said I would not rush to wean at all. I followed child led weaning and my children self weaned at 18 months due to pregnancy and 35 months on their own. I understand this is not for everyone, but the WORST way to wean is how your doctor suggested not only for the baby, but for mom too. By just stopping cold turkey you open yourself up to get mastitis and plugged ducts etc. I suggest when you feel it is time you cut out one feeding at a time and replace it with something else like cuddling or food. Do that for a week and then cut out another. Leave the favorite feedings for last (like nap and bed time). This makes the transition easier on both.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• aeneva is right, cold turkey is the last way you want to wean. I followed a don't offer, don't refuse model after DD1 hit a year. She lasted until I was five months pregnant and she was 20 months old. By that time she had gone down to one, maybe two nursings a day, and I didn't have to tell her no and deal with the aftermath of it at all. She just stopped asking on her own. The other preferred method is like aeneva said, cut one feeding a week until they are gone. Slow and steady makes it easier for the child and your body to adjust.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• HORRIBLE advice from doc.

Drop one feeding per week til gone. That's all! Distract and delay. Know that you don't HAVE to wean by a certain age unless you WANT to. If you do nothing, she'll wean when ready. Generally by age two, NO TEARS and no issues.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• When you're ready, drop one feeding per week. If under 12 mos, replace with formula. That's all. Or you could allow her to wean when she decides to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thank you all for the advice. I wish my husband felt the same, he agrees with the doc to jsut drop it, and thinks dragging it out will only make it worse in the end. But he doesnt understand the emotional and physical attachment me and her have created.
    IzysMomma

Comment by IzysMomma (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Bad advice from that doctor. Did you know that most doctors have little or NO training in breastfeeding> Did you know that the AAP says you should breastfeed for a MINIMUM of 12 months? The emotional and physical attachment is there for a reason! This is what mothers and babies are meant to do! Breastfeeding SHOULD be her primary source of food for the first 12 months. Baby is supposed to fall asleep at the breast! You have done nothing wrong. Keep up the good work and worry about weaning much later.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Start giving her a sippy cup with water, and start giving her bits of soft foods, like avocado, sweet potato, brown rice, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2011