Nosey, broke babysitter

I have a lady that comes to my house to watch my dd during the week. We pay her an average wage and definately don't feel like she is underpaid especially considering the perks she gets. she can run a few errands with my dd, bring other kids she babysits occassionally, eat our food, ect...
Anyway, anytime we buy something new (over a couple hundred $) or leave our checkbook out mistakenly (balance over $2k) she complains about how broke she is and hints at a raise. Its at the point where I feel like I have to justify my spending to her and I lie about being broke because I feel like she is going to hit me up for money. She is a "friend" on facebook and wrote on her status about how she loves her job but it isn't paying the bills. Now she is starting to complain about gas prices and she doesn't know how she is going to be able to drive over to our house if the prices get any higher. Seriously, we all have to buy gas to get to work. Our jobs don't fork over gas money.
what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I definitely would not leave my financial info lying around. How long has she been with you? If its longer than a year, and she is good at her jobI would give her a small raise. Other than, tell her you have bills to pay and gas to buy, and you have to budget it just like her and if she is n ot happy with her job, then she is free to leave.
    MariJanesMomma

Answer by MariJanesMomma at 11:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i would just look in to getting a new sitter that doesnt complain about the rate of pay and stays out of your personal business (oh and a side note dont "friend" employees on facebook, it never turns out good)
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• How old is she? Maybe whe is not very mature. I would keep your check book and personal financial info out of her sight and ignore the rest. If she chooses to quit, you can find someone else. Unless you really like her and then might negotiate with her.
    Waitaminute808

Answer by Waitaminute808 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Tell her to quit complaining or get a new job.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i would look into geting a new sitter
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If you want to keep her, pay her a modest raise. Most jobs give raises at specificied periods of time. That's if she's doing good and you want her to continue watching your child. If not, and you feel you have some other options - let her go! By all means you don't want to leave financial stuff out, but it sounds like it was a mistake, and if that's the case - she has no need to be nosing through it. Usually you have to open something (i.e. a checkbook) to see the balance, and that means she was going through your personal stuff.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• What you buy, how much you make, what's in your bank, etc., has no bearing on her and is none of her business. Why should you have to feel like justifying what you've worked so hard to earn? That is completely inappropriate and frankly, disrespectful, for her to behave with a sense of entitlement like that.

She don't think she's making enough? She needs to outright ask for a raise rather than beating around bushes and posting not-so-subtle hints on Facebook. Then if you think she deserves a raise, give her one. Or, if you think she doesn't (like I do, after what you've said about her) then tell her no and if she doesn't find that acceptable she can find another job.

I mean, that's how things work in the real world, right? And babysitting your child is definitely real world work! I hope that you straighten this out with her, but I hope more that you are able to find a babysitter who is more suitable for your family.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 12:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Why don't you just stop leaving your money records laying around. I mean it's not ones business how much money you do or don't have. Why would you leave that out anyway?

You could tell her that if she doesn't like the pay she is getting then she is more than welcome to find another job that will pay her bills. I would also de-friend her because it just makes things awkard. You can't really post what you all are doing as a family because if she sees it then she will complain that she doesn't make enough.

If she is such a great babysitter and if she has been with you for awhile, why not give her a raise? Most jobs give a raise after 90 days.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 12:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If you like her enough to want to keep her give her a small raise. If you feel she is easily replaceable then tell her firmly, you feel you are paying her a fair wage so, there will not be an increase at this time.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• she has been with us off and on as needed for about 6 years. thats the hard part. But you're all right, we do have bills to pay too. my dh and i have worked very hard to get ahead in our careers and to have a little extra in the bank. why should that = paying more money to her?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011