How can I get my daughter to eat more?

My daughter is 19 months old and she barely eats. She drinks milk, but she will either reject any food I give to her or gag it back out if she does eat it. Sometimes she does eat, but she has just been super picky for the last few days. I have talked to her doctor and she told me that it is normal for kids to get picky with foods and to say no around her age, but it still bothers me. Did/does anyones else's children do this? It is so frustrating and I do not know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• MY DAUGHTER WAS THE SAME WAY DON'T WORRY SHE WILL KNOW WHEN SHE IS HUNGERY IT'S OK YOU SHOULD NEVER FORCE HER TO EAT THAT WOULD TURN INTO BAD EATING HABBITS ! BUT YOU CAN TRY SOME FOODS SHE MAY LIKE AND JUST LET HER EAT THAT FOR A TIME THERE WAS A TIME MINE WOULD ONLY EAT CEREAL OR ONLY GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES ! SHE WILL PHASE OUT SOON !!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It could be normal. A lot of parents do say their children have had these phases. This was not my experience. My son ate everything under the sun until he was about 9mths old. Then he would gag and spit out anything I tried to feed him. To the point where he had maybe only three things he would actually eat. He would drink anything. People said he was just a picky eater and it is normal. In his case it was not normal. We are currently receiving ocupational therapy for his eating issues. He has a sensory disorder and still at 2 will only eat a limited amount of food. In fact there a many children who do have sensory or texture disorders but their parents pass if off as normal. My suggestion is insist your child have an occupational evaluation. It doesn't harm her to have one and you can sleep better knowing nothing is wrong once it is done.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It's completely normal. At your daughters age. they would much rather just get rid of the hungry feeling by drinking some milk quick and getting on with their busy schedule of playing, exploring, etc.. if you are really concerned limit the amount of milk or wait until after meals to offer it. Also keep in mind that their tummys are way smaller then ours. It may look like they are starving when they are actually eating plenty. a serving is a Tablespoon per year of age, their stomachs are approx the size of their fists. As long as your child is eating some, growing and gaining weight don't stress too much about the amounts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Just wondering, is she still on the bottle? As soon as I took my son off his appetite went through the roof! He still have days where he doesn't eat much. I try not to give him too much to drink right before dinner. I also don't give him a drink with dinner, but wait until he is done or almost done. Otherwise, he will fill up on his drink and not want to eat. Good luck! And don't worry too much.... she will eat when she's hungry!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My #4 child started being a very picky eater about this age. He is now 6 years old! It is a pain in my behind, he too to this very day gags if he tries something and doesn't like it. Just the fact that he at least tried something new was a huge step! (he wasn't picky at all at first!) I put him on Pediasure, put him on children probiotics, and made sure what he did eat was protein (he hates meat though) - fresh veggies - and fresh fruit. Fiber snacks with nutritious value. You just have to keep offering new things and make sure what she does eat is food of value and substance, supplement with a good childrens vitamin, probiotics and the Pediasure. Make sure she gets enough protein and fiber. My son wouldn't eat fish sticks, so I started calling them chicken sticks and he loves them, so go figure, it is a tricky thing, but proper nutrition is key.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2008