Tipping question--Did I do something wrong?

I tip my hairdresser 20%. I used to just get my hair highlighted, but I have recently begun to get my hair colored. With getting my hair colored, I have been purchasing products at the salon. I usually ask my stylist what the service cost so I know what to tip. I figure I don't want to tip on $50 of product as well as the over $100 of service. My stylist has never given me any indication that this was not acceptable. This past week, my stylist was running behind and passed me off to another stylist to ring me up at the register. I heard my stylist tell the other girl to "let her know what her service cost, she doesn't tip on products purchased".
I was floored. I never thought it would be expected to tip on products. I mean, really, if I am already tipping her 20% on her service, why would I add another $10 tip for buying the product!!
Am I wrong? Did I do something wrong in not tipping on product?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, I don't think you did anything wrong, and it sounds like your stylist wasn't necessarily upset with you, just telling the other stylist what to do.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thats outragous! Seriously, i wouldn't go back. You're not overreacting.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I'd complain. You don't talk crap about someone who has been a great costumer. And why should you tip on product that you are alreading buying, and they didn't make?!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• it would depend on her voice/ attitude that went with it.. If she said it sincerely "just so you know" to the other stylist, i would shrug it off.. But if she had a little attitude with it then Id find some place new..
    U shouldnt pay tip for product.. is grabbing the bottle for you & put it in the bag really so hard u need to tip? i dont think so..
    Maybe alot of of other people tip overall & that is what they are use to (but not expected).
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I agree with Amy. I would not take offence at that being said about me. There is no reason to tip on product. Do you tip at the grocery store? Didn't think so.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• That would of Pissed Me Off- just b/c she shouldn't of been discussing what you Tip with another stylist! i would have been Floored Too-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• She didn't have an attitude about it. It was stated as fact, and she's never gave any sort of indication to me that I was doing something wrong. It's just that when she said that to the stylist she had ringing me up, I thought "Wow, am I supposed to tip on product?" It just seemed weird that the comment needed to be made at all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would find another hairdresser. lol
    hope5765

Answer by hope5765 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I always tip, but I prefer to use the local beauty college for my services. They are just learning, but everyone gets their start somewhere. If you have one in your area maybe you should give them a try.
    hope5765

Answer by hope5765 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• no i dont think she was meaning to be rude, i think she was just telling the other person so you didnt have to tip for the whole bill (service and products) honestly i think she was being polite by telling the other person how to ring you up.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2011