Spin off - how much do you tip your stylist?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• it depends on what my stylist does but on average $10
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 12:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• For my children and husband I tip $5 each. For me, more involved highlighting and such, I tip maybe $25 and up. However, my stylist is a close neighbor and she always does her best to fit us in when we call last minute.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• usually $5-$10.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• $5.00
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 12:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• 20%
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• 15%.
    Anonymous

• 20%
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 3:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• awww, I like you girls above me.. you can be my client any day :). I typically do my own hair since I'm a stylist, however for a few cuts and styles that I know I can't maneuver enough to pull off on my own, I go to my friend, who is also a stylist. We dont' charge eachother for our services, we just trade them, but we still tip each other at least $5.00 (pending on what we want the others help with, such things as highlights that there is no way we can reach in the back practically, we tip around $10.00).

For those unsure what the usual tips are here is a good guideline to follow:
    If you hated the stylist (she was rude, messed up the service, etc) then not only do you NOT tip, but be sure to tell the stylist WHY you didn't tip and express your concerns to the manager.
    For a typical average stylist the going rate is 10-20%
    For an over and above experience that you loved, tip 25% and on up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I'm not saying this is what you HAVE to tip, this is just what on average is tipped. A tip is made to show appreciation for a good to great job done on a service.
    Not only that, but because soo many people are unwilling to pay more for our services because soo many have a bad idea of what a stylist actually requires, our tips have become our livelihood.
    We are professionals, have gone to school for this, paid GOOD money to earn the right to call our selves stylists, AND passed all our required state board tests. So it does my heart good to know that a majority of you that have written, understand where we are coming from and we GREATLY appreciate those tips. (Besides, when you don't tip, we think we did something wrong, so if you aren't a tipper, PLEASE have the courtesy to at least leave a thank you note or warn us upfront.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• usually 15% but depending on how much the bill is it could be only 10%
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011