Do you tip on take-out at places like Olive garden, Tgif, applebees??

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Never tip for take-out, no.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No. I only tip when someone waits on me or if they deliver. I used to work in a restaurant and the back of the house is the one who puts the order together. They are the same ones who put you plate together when you dine in.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, because I use to work in the To-Go area at Outback. I would take the order, place the order, get the drinks, napkins, plastic spoons/forks/knives, get the condiments, give extra condiments, pack up the food, place everything in the bag, and place anything extra that I thought would be helpful in there (such as a to-go menu). I would then make sure that I kept a close eye out for the vehicle so that their food would arrive to them warm. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but when you have 5-10 orders like this at once, it is a lot. I also started out working at an hourly above minimum wage pay, but when he got a new manager, our pay went down to the same as waitresses- $2.15 an hour. I didn't stay long after that because I didn't make enough to survive on since most people didn't tip.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, you are supposed to tip the To-Go areas. They do pretty much everything a waiter does by getting your food together, the only difference is they come to your car and not to the table.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 12:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes because around here they have specific people who work the To-Go area (I know a few people who do it) and I believe that they deserve the 20% tip that I would have given if they were my waitperson. I also tip the pizza guy 20% and leave a 20% tip in tip jar at the various sub shops, Chinese food places, coffe houses, etc. that we go to that have tip jars on the counter. I can easily afford the $1-$10 for the 20% tip, it's not like that money is going to kill me or be missed by me. Usually with take out orders that's what I saved on drinks.
    Anonymous

• OP...if they raised the pay of waitstaff, I promise you that you would STILL be responsible for paying their wage. HOWEVER no one would be able to afford to eat out at basic sit down chains because the cost of meals would be equal to that in places where they DO pay their staff higher wages and not way below min. wage. The average cannot afford a $50 or $60 meal but that is how much people would pay if tipping was elminated. So....instead of that why freak at paying what amounts to $2-$4 extra per meal in a tip. You are STILL getting off easy when you buy a $16 meal and pay $3.20 for the tip for that meal. Why eat out if you cannot afford to tip? Pick up Burger King if you don't want to tip. I tip 20% on the low end and 50% for excellent service at a place I go to often. You DO get what you pay for and people remember those who tip them $30 or $40 on a $60-$80 bill.
    Anonymous

• Only if I ask for extras (like something he or she has to go get), and if they have to do more than hand me my bag that is right next to them on the counter.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• At places like that you don't know who put together the meal or the to-go package. At a small restaurant, the waitress usually puts the napkins, cutlery kit, mustard, ketchup and food in the bag. The waitress does most of the work.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• nope
    Anonymous

• On if I eat in!
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 12:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2011