Are kids getting to much homework?

My daughter spends more time doing homework than anything else. She never seems to have enough time to just be a kid. Somedays she comes home, has a quick snack and gets to work, takes a 20 minute break for dinner and works until 11pm.

ventingmom

Asked by ventingmom at 12:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• The work of teenagers is getting a good education. They won't be hurt by doing homework every night of the week. They are learning. The time they spend in school doesn't cover all they need to learn. It also teaches discipline and critical thinking. They should have time to eat, get a good night sleep and relax for a short time after school. Weekends should be the time to do the fun things and really get the stress off. Fact is, kids need to do the work to be compitive in the world and once they hit teenagerhood, they also get a dose of reality. The transition from childhood to adulthood begins.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 12:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have always believed that teachers give to much home work. All of the teachers are selfish and they believe that their class is more important than any other class. They also forget that kids need time to be kids and wind down from school.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, most definitely and there's nothing to be learned from the drill and repetition method so common in our educational system. It has been proven time and time again that homework serves no purpose until the high school years. This assignment of ghastly amounts of homework simply gives the appearance that our children are being educated; truth is, if they're not learning it in the classroom, assigning it for homework does nothing to further their understanding and simply takes away from equally important family time and down time that children need.
    Anonymous

• My child has little homework. What little she does end up having is what could not be completed in class.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My kids very rarely have homework.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My daughter has 3-6 hours of homework a night. She is getting a fantastic (public) education, and will graduate with a full year of college credits. Her job is getting an education, including activities that will help her get into a great university and get scholarships.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm a teacher that gives homework....and I don't feel that I'm selfish. GEEZ! Most of my kids that take homework home are the kids that don't finish it in class. Most of those students don't use their time wisely. They always have time to work on it in class. That way I'm there if they have questions over it. Their homework assignments should take 30 minutes at the most.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Good for her. Her job right now is being a student, and it sounds like she wants to be a good one. Support her.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm not sure where the balance is....sometimes I do think they are given too much....especially when they don't have time for anything else...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am giving my daughter the support she needs, and I do not think teachers are selfish. I just think there has to be a balance to grow up and be a well rounded person.
    ventingmom

Comment by ventingmom (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011