What Would You Do? adult content

I was recently hospitalized for several days with e.coli. I'm 34 weeks pregnant, this was a really scary situation for our family. A number of other parents and children in my daughter's Kindergarten class were also hospitalized with e.coli at the same time. We all believe that the source of the infection was cupcakes at a class party.

e.coli comes from fecal contamination spread through improper hand washing. Should those of us who were infected approach the parent responsible for bringing the contaminated food to the school about the situation? We are all afraid that this will happen again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No but definitely approach the school and let them know. It might be time to change some rules about homemade food.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 12:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would talk to the principal about the situation and your concerns. Since it is so serious, the school policy may reflect store bought, wrapped snacks only to be shared in classroom. Also they may send a notice out to parents to let them know what happened and how to prevent it in the future. No need for you to approach the parent, especially since you have no hard proof, although you may very well be right.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 12:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would Def. talk to the teacher
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You can't be certain it was the cupcakes. Are you in PTA? If someone typed up a letter, mailer, explaining what the situation was and how to avoid this in the future, it would be better than accusing the wrong person. The mailer should include instructions on how to do proper hand washing when handling food items.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would say yes do so, but only if you have proof that it came from t hat mother. I wouldn't go to her and accuse her of it if you do not know 100% that it came from her. But what I would do is have a meeting in the class to talk about the kids or school issues and bring up the e.coli and sanitation, but not name any names.
    MariJanesMomma

Answer by MariJanesMomma at 12:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• and this is why my childrens school has a NO HOMEMADE food policy........all food brought to school has to be in sealed packages from the store......does cost more , yep, do i care nope, because i know the store has food safety regs........maybe talk to your school about doing the same thing.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• all i can say is..how would you feel if parents approached you?
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 3:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would mention it to the teacher, who can, in turn, mention it to everyone, including the parent who brought the poo cupcakes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well unless you are a biological specialist, I don't think you can say with one hundred percent certainty that it was the source, so I would not say anything. This is a classroom we are talking about. Germs everywhere, unwashed hands everywhere. The source could have been on the handle of the bathroom faucet as the kids washed up etc. I am sorry you had this experience, but unless proof positive...which is near impossible, I would let it go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011