What if everybody was a super rich CEO?

What if everybody had enough money to tell everybody else to go to hell?
Who would be the lunchlady at school?
Who would be the policeman?
Who would be aid in the nursing home?
Who would take your order at a restaurant?
Who would haul goods from coast to coast in trucks?
Who would take do the x-rays if you broke your arm?
Who would check out your items at the store in the mall?
Who would be the butcher at the grocery store?
Who would bake your bread or squeeze your orange juice?

Why can't people find more happiness in the life they have and spend less time trying to keep up with or be jealous of the Jones'? I'm not talking about the people struggling because of the layoffs and the bad economy. I'm being more general.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• An interesting "what if", but IMO~Op, the truth is~ not everyone wants to be a CEO.... I have high school friends who are perfectly content being auto mechanics, repairmen, etc... And they don't strive to be more than where they are. Then I know people who are upset routinely because the get rich scheme they bought into, coast them more than they earned... They are jealous of others who took slow steps to build themselves up financially... Then, I know people who CHOSE to have babies at 17 , now have 3 children and are mad because people earn more then they do who only have one child. They feel they are entitled to earn more money because they CHOSE to have multiple kids at a young age. The truth is, many MORE could be CEO's~ if they made a goal and stuck to it.... But for some it is easier to be mad then to commit to a sensible long term plan...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think there would be less class envy and we could actually focus on the character of a person instead of the contents of their wallets. I think there are probably plenty of CEO's that do charitable work and give donations to organizations that they care about, but we seldom hear about their charitable works. We only hear about how much they make and how many loopholes allow them to keep whatever percent of their income when others think that figure should be much higher.

I personally don't aspire to be in the top 1%.  I don't aspire to be rich.  I aspire to be happy and I know that I am the only one that stands in my way.  I don't care what CEO's do with their income, I just trust that people help others when they have the ability to do so, simply because that's what I do now.  The constant focus on other's incomes is just grotesque to me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would probably be the only restaurant worker in America. For some odd reason, I love it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If we were all super rich CEO's then I'm sure a few of us would want to become Pope!! LOL Point is, NO ONE is ever content with what they have, they always want more of something--whether it is more time to do what they please, more money, a better title, better home, better car, more children, etc.!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have to agree with you in finding happiness in your life. Most of us are where we are because of our choices. We choose to pay attention and do well in school. We choose to go to college or get a certificate/license to allow us to make more than minimum wage. We choose to make the best out of our homes, keep things clean, neat, bathe, wash clothes, not be a drunk, or a drug addict. It is our choices. We don't have to look at a Rolex and think our Timex is substandard. Ultimately, they both just keep time. My Nissan will get me to the grocery store just as well as another person's Bentley because they are both cars. We own a 1987 PaceArrow (RV) and a 1986 Bayliner (boat). A friend keeps comparing his new to our old. My standard response is: yes, they are getting old, but they are paid for - yours? I don't give into peer pressure. It is all peer pressure.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• People would still be jealous because someone would have more than them.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 3:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

I LOVE the restaurant industry....  I miss the organized chaos!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thats very true!
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 12:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Good point. We place so much emphasis on material things and the potential of our standard of living is so high, that it's hard to get away from it. It all comes down to attitude and goal setting. I admit, I make a decent living but I do fantasize about cruises and the perfect home and all the things I could do and have and share if I were as rich as the CEO you mention.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 12:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Swiss bank accounts all around. Too bad for the little people and working stiffs. IRL, people only really care about what other people do when THEY need those services-

If everyone had a billion dollars, would the billion seem like much less?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2011