How to deal with my "Autistic Son? He's driving me crazy!

Is this normal? Sometimes when I get stressed out with my Autistic Spectrum Son ( 3.5 yrs old). I wanna duct tape his mouth because he constantly whines and wanna lock him in his bedroom. However I never have done these things. He's usually stressful for me to deal with. It's his constant whinning over everything that drives me so crazy. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes its normal and it sounds like you need to get regular mommy breaks
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My son is 6 and also on the Autism Spectrum and I totally feel you! He is the sweetest little boy you ever met until something happens that makes him 'freak out' then he is another child completely! If he is having a bad day then the whole family is having a bad day. Those days have become less the older he gets. I know he will never be 'perfect' but it HAS gotten MUCH better. School has helped a lot because it gives me a break. Is he in an earl intervention pre-school? If not have you considered respite care or do you have a friend/family to take him for a few hours a week to give you a break?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• That is normal, there are times I wanna duct tape my children and lock them in their rooms and they are "normal" without autism. I know its rough but even these are times that one day you will look back on with joy. Try your best to enjoy every day and remember, some days it can only be moment by moment.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes I do. My aunt would help me lots. I don't know about the "early prevention schools" in my city. I almost forgot I have to put him in school in September lol. Yes, he's a amazing/smart boy. He just doesn't know to communicate without whining or doesn't have patience to wait for things. He's a sweet, helpful, independent boy. It's so cute when he's done his meal, he will actually put his plate away on the sink.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• yes it si very normal for him ,and for you to have these feelings, I have been there ,and like you I didn't do any of those things I just wanted too ! Believe me!  laughing is the best medicine, if you can get a break , go vent to a girlfriend ,have a glass of wine ,I look back at those times now and can smile ,but at the time I just might have had bald spots from pulling my hair out ! lol

Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2011