Did you child ever have an imaginary friend? How did you handle it?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 1:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I always listened intently when my children talked about their imaginary friends.
    "Rygel", my son Nigel's imaginary friend, was 18 and lived in the future in New York City, where he worked as an architecht. There were times when Rygel would travel through time and space to visit us, but he rarely ever cause any trouble around here, he usually just sat in the corner on his phone.

My daughter had an imaginary friend named "JerryMane". JerryMane was responsible for plenty of mischief, plus she told our daughter that "broccoli is a deadly poison", claimed that she was certain that our potty had a "potty monster" and stated unequivocally that "children have to watch too much television because it's part of the American Dream".

I rarely ever had to do anything about Rygel, but JerryMane did have to suffer a few "time-outs" for telling our daughter to do certain things.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, my son had an imaginary little brother named Junie who got blamed for a lot of mischeif....I thought it was cute..
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My kids have not but I did. lol. His name was Mr.Duck. My dad got so annoyed one day that when we were riding in the car he asked if he could see Mr. Duck so I handed him over. My dad then proceeded to roll down the window and throw him to driving 60mph down the highway! My mom was yelling at him, I was in hysterics (lmao), He was trying to figure out how to get out of what he just did but I wasn't buying in...It was a hot mess. Anyway later that day I got a phone call from Mr. Duck who told me he had been picked up by a nice family and was going to live with them instead! Mr. Duck was never heard from again. :0( I don't recommend this route however I guess it did work.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• She was about 3 when she found her friend. She would play with her, never causing trouble or messes. Her friends name was Flossy. I asked my dd to describe her and she said shes a floozy with a big flip hairstyle, blue eyeshadow, red cheeks, smeared red lipstick,she wore tight cotton pants a halter top, high heels and she smoked cigaretts and drank beer. Now Im not sure where she came up with this lady, or the term floozy...but she was crazy about her friend Flossy. I didn't do anything, just talked to her about how s moking and drinking is bad etc. She would say I know mommy, Flossy tells me to never ever smoke or drink...only drink milk juice and lots of cokes...lol Flossy went away when Chyna was about 4.
    MariJanesMomma

Answer by MariJanesMomma at 1:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• What's so bad about imaginary friends?
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 1:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• nope jake never did but i played with fairys and created a fairy land...ummm...hehe
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 1:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My son did, he had quite a few and honestly there was NOTHING to handle. It was fun
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011