• In the Spotlight:

How to tidy around a baby?

I am a single mother to a six month old and I find it extremley hard to tidy up. Everytime I try to she starts to cry and moan so I have to go play with her. By the time she falls asleep at night I don't have the energy or motivation to tidy up. I'm beginning to not care but I know that I should, my daughter can't grow up in a messy household, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

amullen

Asked by amullen at 8:14 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have no clue, do you let her roam around with you while you are tiding up?? i let mine roam around and usally they get in my way, but they arent crying. id give your babe something to do something to play with and kinda sneak away....i hope you get better answers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• when mine was that young i would put her in her playpen with her favorite toys which most of the time was my cell phone and put it in front of the tv with a cartoon on or play music i would be able to get a little bit done. if i was in the kitchen i would put her in her high chair with a cup and a spoon and she would play with that for a while. you just have to try various things til you find what works for her
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Put her in the high chair with food if she can have it or a toy if not. Or wear her in a wrap or something while you clean
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• When my kids were that young i would basically do both at once. if i wanted to clean the kitchen i would clean while they wer ein the highchair and be silly to them and sing silly songs and just basiacally goof around while i cleaned. I danced around alot and that seemd to amuse them. If it was the livingroom i ususally let them hang on the floor or in the walker and did all the same things as above. I don't know kids hat age want attention but they also need to know they can't ALWAYS have you right when they want ya.
    SparklesOfAmber

Answer by SparklesOfAmber at 8:25 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I put my kids in the playpen and talk to them while I was cleaning, it makes it a lot easier and if your daughter gets fussy give her something to distract her, if you pick her up whenever she cries you will never get anything done.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I usually put mine in the exersaucer or swing and turn on baby einstein and he occupies himself while i pick up and make the beds.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 8:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• With my kids it depended on what time of day it was. i found it was easiest to clean during nap time. or. when they were eating. ur baby should be old enough for some finger food ie. saltines or graham crackers. or even gerber has some toast it comes in a yellow box. i foget the name or if. it is good for teething and is also large and hard enough that they cant choke. put your baby in her high chair with a movie or cartoon on. let her have the snack. it will help keep her busy while you clean. and she will enjoy trying some new food. and get to teeth at the same time. but also i wanted to say from one single mother to another. it is hard to find time to really clean.
    cont.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• but also i wanted to say from one single mother to another. it is hard to find time to really clean. dont worry about deep cleaning. it is ok. your baby is still young and still demand lots of extra attention. at that age i let myself be content with jsut picking up and dishes and vaccuming. things like that. and when peeps come over sometimes i am embarrased cuz there are toy severy where. they usually jsut say it is ok we understand you have kids. so dont get too worried about it.
    sweetestkitten

• sometimes you have to let them cry. im not saying for a long amount of time. but it is ok to let them cry for a few minutes. dont feel bad about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• im not a single mom and its so hard to clean for me. my son makes it messy after t had cleaned one romm and went to the next. its hard
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 9:17 AM on Nov. 20, 2008