D & C

i have to go for a d & c on tuesday and im sure what to expect. has anyone gone through one and can you tell me how it went? are you awake? did you have to stay overnight?

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• OMG. Please do not be afraid. It's a very quick and simple procedure. I am both a surgical tech (assisted the surgeon on this procedure) as well as a patient. Yes, they "put you out". The doctor uses several pieces of equipment to gradually dilate your cervix and then uses an instrument that scrapes the inside of your uterus. It takes longer to set up the surgical suite than it does for the actual procedure. When I woke up in recovery, I asked the nurse "how long have I been out" ... she said "11 minutes"!! The worst part is recovering from the loss and sadness. And, on that note, I was pregnant about one month later and she's a healthy, beautiful 9 yr old today. Good Luck and relax. Everything will be OK.
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 3:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have had a few. It's not a big deal. It's an outpatient procedure so you go home the same day. You go in the morning, get hooked up to an IV, go in for the procedure, they put you to sleep, procedure takes about 15 minutes. You go into recovery, wake up & leave as soon as you are fully awake. You have to have someone drive you home or else they will keep you a while. Expect mild cramping like a period. Take advil and you'll be fine. It's a lot easier to get pregnant after a D&C so use protection for a few months after to let your body get back to normal. GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• you wouldnt have it done PP?! You think she wants to get it done? You sound like a complete idiot.....Honey it will be ok, listen to Ilovemypaulie.....that other girl is a jackass.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Do not listen to the first poster, obviously she is not speaking from her own personal experience. God only knows where her "friend" had her procedure done. As long as you are going to a Hospital, you'll be fine. This is probably the most common procedure done on women on a daily basis in any Hospital. Relax & Best wishes. I have had 3, My sister has had at least 2, My Mom, My MIL, My friends. All OK!!!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I agree with the other moms . . . I have had to have a few, and mine went just like ILuvPaulies . . . . the hard part for me was the emotional part . . .

It'll be just fine . . . good luck and hang in there . . .

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• (((Hugs))). Don't listen to the first poster. I have had 3 due to missed miscarriages. The surgery was easy and I was home that day the emotional part is the hard part. They put you to sleep for the procedure and you'll want to take it easy for a few days after. I would just ask the doc to follow your HCG levels back to 0 and call if you have any questions. I am sorry you have to go thru this.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 3:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I just had one last Saturday. Went in in the morning, got hooked up to the IV, talked to the nurses, my doctor came in talked to me, they took me back was asleep during the procedure that took 5 minutes, then went to recovery. I have really bad asthma and I have difficulty breathing while laying down, but they gave me a breathing treatment before and when I came out, so I wouldn't need tubes down my throat. When you go home just sleep. Make sure you have water near by and a bucket just in case. You will bleed and some cramping. But, no worries bc everything will go good. I was in the hospital for a total of 3.5 hours and that included registering.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 1:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• ok, now im totally freaked out!!!
    mykidsmom86

Comment by mykidsmom86 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• – collapse
    i know someone that had it done, and she was butchered very badly. about a third of her colon was ultimately removed. she was out of work for a year, and was only able to go back because she found help from a homeopath.
    i would not have this done unless it was absolutely necessary.
    i am sure what happened to my friend is not very common, but why have any surgery when your body will take care of things on its own. i am truly sorry about what you are facing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 (hidden) + expand