How can I get my son to stop being so picky???

I think my 4 year old is going to turn into a chicken nugget!! I have tried so many different things to try and get him to eat new things......ANY IDEAS???

sweetmemories

Asked by sweetmemories at 1:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if you are not a picky person please try not to be picky in front of him. Sadly this is how my son became pickyfrown mini

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Just offer him a variety of things. It will take time but he will make the change on his own. I'd make him fresh ones at home and not processed nuggets from fast food places. I'd also make sure the chicken I use is organic and not shot up with hormones or unnatural things.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My son can be picky,at one time the only things he would eat were chicken nuggets or PB and J,  but now he understands that I am not a restaurant. I make ONE meal. After awhile he got the hint and began eating what I made. I made sure he had plenty of other things he would eat at other meal times.   He is now 11 and people always comment to me about the wide variety of foods he eats, especially for an autistic child.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• its a stage kids go through...my son went through it too but i always made sure to have fruits and veggies as snacks
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 2:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Don't worry about it. As long as he has fruit and veggies, so what if his only protein is chicken nuggets. He will outgrow this.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• It can take 10 exposures to a new food before the child will begin to accept it, just keep encouraging him to try new things. Sometimes, explaining the value of a food will help the process along, maybe it's rich in fiber or a certain vitamin or something, kids love explanations of such things, it helps them feel empowered.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a child who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

• Stop serving him chicken nuggets. If they're not there, he can't eat them. Keep offering other choices. Eventually he will try. Don't give up, it may take time.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He will out grow this.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011