If your child misbehaved would you cancel their b-day party, that has been planned for weeks?

my daughter's friend had her party cancelled. Don't know what she did, but the girls had been so excited about it. the invitations were sent out a month in advance and you could tell the parents had done a lot of planning and expense towards this thing. Then my daughter came home yesterday and said party was cancelled. these kids are only 8, so we called to double check and they said it was. It was supposed to be today , and I'm not one to tell parents hoe to discipline their kids but we had cancelled plans for this , had already bought a gift. I think the mother at least owed the guests a phone call or a note. Personally I would have let the kid earn it back or take something else away, but not something I had been planning for a while.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 3:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The party would still go on but for whatever my child did wrong, they would still have to be disciplined for it but bday parties for a person is just once a year, so they still need that joy

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i dont agree with it, but we don't know what that child did. i would send the gift to school with my kid to give to the birthday kid.
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 3:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• thats awful birthdays should not be taken away thats there special day! unless they burned the house down or something.. imo. there are plenty of other days to discipline.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 3:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would not do that... I would chose another form of discipline. This could scar her.. she is only 8 for crying out loud!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think it depends on the what the child has done.. a bday party is a privlige and with that comes responsiblity... but i agree the parents should have called the guests ahead of time to cancel the party!! just save your gift for another party.. lol that way your money doesnt go to waste and you will be prepared!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No I would not.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I guess it really depends what the child did...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I took a Bday party from one of my kids once. He had been pushing and pushing, not listening, nothing was getting through to him. He seriously blew it at school and got suspended for 3 days. At my house you don't get a reward, like a party, when your behavior is unacceptable. He got a card, we made a cake and he got a gift..There was no party. I know I'll get voted down but whatever. You know what...it made the desired impact. His behavior markedly improved. In fact, I used the example to my youngest a few years later..my oldest made sure he knew I was serious. You may think it was overly harsh and that is YOUR opinion. This was MY child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• terrible!!!!!!!! If I were you I'd still give the gift.
    Anonymous

• It would take something pretty serious for me to cancel a birthday party, more serious than either of my two has ever pulled.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2011