I do I help my 10 yr old eat healthier and lose weight?

He has ADHD and does take medication and when he's on the medicine he does well of not eating a lot but once it is out of his system or he doesn't take it on the weekends then he eats constantly and I just don't know how to help him. He wants to lose the weight but he just doesn't motivate himself very well.

416kb69

Asked by 416kb69 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Rid the house of any and ALL junk food
    If it isn't there,he can't eat it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• First off get all the junk food out of the house, if its not there he will not eat it. Secondly make healthy eating a family thing, eat at the table and portion size his meals. drink water with your meal, and do physical activities together.. my family likes to play konniect hahaha

you are your child's role model and if he sees you doing it and having fun he will wanna do it too!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Get rid of all the processed food in your house. If it comes from a box, its processed. Get foods that are real, as close to how the earth made them as possible. Then, add in more water, less milk/juice/pop sweetened drinks, and more activity.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You need to make this a family health project. Take walks together, bike ride together, etc. Water should be your primary beverage. Cut way back on meat and dairy. Eliminate processed sugars and white/simple grains. Build meals around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Get rid of junk food, he can't eat it if it's not there. Get him more active.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• 1) Stop buying crap. Chips? Crackers? Boxed pasta dinners? out!
    2) Log on to allrecipes.com and have your son pick out dishes that incorporate fish and lean meats--have him try to find things that are "new" that he wants to try.
    3) Have him help make dinner! Focus on fresh produce.
    4) Make cut up veggies, baby carrots, fruit, etc available.
    5) cut out dessert else, go with sugar free Jello.
    6) exercise as a FAMILY! Take a walk after dinner. Ride bikes.

Another hint for mom/dad? Menu planning and shopping a week at a time. It's SO much easier to eat well when you plan it out in advance and aren't trying to come up with something quickly or go shopping right after work.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Had a problem with my son snacking all the time about 3 years ago and he was putting on weight. I cut out buying the junk food. If it's not in the house, he can't eat it. I got my some to exercise with me. He's not going to get up and do it on his own. You have to lead by example.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 9:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011