For mom's who exclusivly pump...

what kind of pump do you use, and how much can you get in a session, how long is a session?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 3:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It has been awhile for me but since no one has answered I'll tell you what I remember.
    I used the gerber manual breast pump and I think I usually got 2-4 oz. it took between 10-15 min I think sometimes quicker
    Sagen

Answer by Sagen at 6:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If you are exclusively pumping you need a high quality double electric pump. The best option is a hospital grade by Ameda or Medela, or a good double electric pump by Hygeia, Ameda, or Medela.
    To begin with you should pump at least 8 times in 24 hours. Once your supply is established you can cut back your pumping sessions and see if you still get enough milk. Basically you pump as many times a day as it takes to get the total amount baby needs.

Give baby fresh milk as much as you can: your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• JOIN THE EP GROUP ON HERE!!

u need a high grade pump i have a medela free style! ive broken 2 other brands of pumps in 6 months!! ive been pumping for a year now!
    u HAVE to pump 8-10 times a day! u HAVE to pump during the night! u HAVE to pump for at least 15-20 each time even if no milk is coming out to tell ur body to make more! u HAVE to drink TONS of water!!!!!!

at first i was getting 32-40oz a day!
    at 6 months i was making 28oz a day!
    now at a year i make 20oz and ive dropped to pumping every 4 hours during the day and every 6 at night!

my dd has never had formula either!

please join the group they are a great help and i never would of made it a year without them!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2011