Open up shop!

I really want to open up a Amish country food, funiture, and craft store. I have no idea where to start. Do I need to buy a franchise or can I just buy off of the Amish? Im really lost....I have no idea where to start. If anyone has or is doing this or knows where to point me please help...

ToberzMama

Asked by ToberzMama at 9:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• Wait I don't understand.....are you Amish?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No Im not Amish. You dont have to be Amish to have a store. I know that...
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 9:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• So are you opening up the store to Amish people in Amish country?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No, I would like to open it here in the small town I live in. There is only one that is kinda close. And it does really great.
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 9:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well maybe you should talk to the people who own that shop if you want to ask them about opening up a franchise. However; specialty shops that have a franchise don't typically do well. If you want to start something on your own, then talk to the Amish who'd you would buy your goods from to see if you can get a contract going. Just to warn you though, my uncle had a specialty shop where he sold vegan candies, and someone thought it was a great idea so they opened up the same kind of thing with in a 10 mile radius and he lost half his business. Both stores right now are closed due to competitive pricing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• This is something that takes alot of work and research. First you need to find a location; then the $ for the rent and inventory; then there are the hours involved in running the buisness. You might want to try contacting a wholesale/distributor for your products. Some of them could ship to you in bulk and then you would save some $ becuase you are buying some much at one time. Maybe you can strike a deal with some of the amish who make all the goods you want to sell and then can be your "distributors". Good luck. hope it all works out for you.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2008