How do you get a stubborn three year old too ear?

I swear my son won't eat! He will get two choices for dinner and then we make what he wants and refuses to eat. It is driving me crazy he would rather drink or play. We went to his well check and he is doing fine growth and development wise hen just won't eat. The doctor said its common for kids to not have an interest in eating some days. Ah! I am at wits end and want him to eat.. Ideas please I need help. I have been giving him carnation good start if he doesn't eat or pedisure and that helps but I want him to eat food.

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 4:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't force him. Listen to the dr. Kids get like this. He's fine

Answer by admckenzie at 4:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• This is what I did. No choises. Eat what I fix. Nothing to drink but water at meals. No snacks between meals. And if they refused to eat. They do not get ANYTHING ELSE to eat tell the next meal.

Answer by louise2 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My 3 year old did this. I don't allow tv while she eats. her toys are all in her room so that helped a lot so no toys in the eating area for her to be distracted with. if she don't eat then that's fine. she wont starve if she misses a meal I let her have a little more at her next meal. the hardest is if she misses dinner then she wakes up early at 4 am to eat I tell her it's not time to eat yet the moon is still up and she can eat when the sun wakes up. I also limit the amount of drink she has at dinner some times I will just give her water with her meal and she can have juice or milk if she eats all her food.
    I also have used the no desert unless your meal is all gone. good luck

amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My DS is a big breakfast and lunch eater, but not much for dinner. We try to get him to at least eat one bite of each thing, but sometimes he just doesn't want to. Is he eating well other meals? if he is, then don't force it. You fix it, give it to him, and if he doesn't eat it, oh well.

Is this a battle you really want to fight? If he's growing well and eating other meals just fine with a well balanced diet, then one meal won't kill him.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

• Limit his drinks, other than water. It's your job to prepare healthy food for him. It's his job to either eat it or not. Don't give in and prepare something different or you will be setting yourself up for years of this. If he doesn't want to eat, don't comment. Just take away the food, and then nothing till snack time, and that should be something healthy like carrot and celery sticks. It's hard, but you can do this.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2011