Keeping your sanity during the 'terrible 2's...'

My son is 18 months old and has been going through the terrible 2's for about 3-4 months now. However it has recently gotten much worse. He could be fine one minute and flipping out the next. You never know if he's going to eat the food I made, he throws fits if he doesn't get what he wants right that second, he cries if you even NICELY tell him not to do something...and then continues to do it or throws another tantrum, wants to play with something and then doesn't want it the next minute, won't sit in a high chair (or any chair) at restaurants, etc. etc. It has become a chore to take him anywhere...we absolutely do not take him to restaurants anymore because he doesn't cooperate at all, and our grocery store/mall trips have become few and far between. I try my hardest to let him do all the little things he wants to do that aren't a big deal, like pushing buttons, turning on lights himself, feeding himself, etc. but if I don't allow him to do something its a huge meltdown.
My problem is that I find myself having a hard time keeping my cool. Now before everyone jumps to conclusions...I would NEVER hurt him or anything like that. But I do find myself having to walk away or just let him cry because I can't stand it anymore. Its like nothing makes him happy...a lose lose for me. I know this is just a phase and that he'll get over it, but right now I just need some advice. What did you do during this phase? Any discipline that is effective but not too harsh for his age? I just have had it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My boys are 13 months apart, and my oldest started Terrible 2s at 18 months, also. He went on through to just about age 3. Now, my youngest started in at about 20 months. I had 4 months of Terrible 2 hell between them both. What did I do? Tantrums were ignored. That sort of behavior doesn't deserve my attention, see. It didn't take long for them to realize that those full-on kicking, screaming, crying, sweating, going red in the face tantrums didn't work on me.
    Was it easy? Oh no, no, no.
    I'd get frustrated and angry just like you. I also had to walk away to keep my top from blowing. Let them cry? I did that all the time. I never wanted to let them get a notion that the fit they were throwing would get them anywhere. I would feel guilty at times, but my tactic worked on their outrageous fits. It was worth the guilt.
    I don't know that will help you, but I know your pain, and I hope you find what does work for you.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 4:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• When kids are having a tantrum you just let them cry and soon they will know that it is not getting them no where. If you give in they will keep doing it. Just hang in there. It will be over before you know it.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011