4yo starting to fabricate stories when caught doing something wrong. What to do?

My daughter has been caught doing simple things like pushing the buttons on the tv or dvd player. Or taking things off a table that doesn't belong to her. It's not something I've assumed that she does. I'll leave the room and the tv volume goes up or she'll have something that I just put on the table. The problem is that when I ask her did she touch the tv she'll say no that she was playing with her toys. So I'll adjust the volume again and leave but this time I peek and watch her do it again. The second time I ask her she still says no that she didn't do it. I'll ask her 3 different ways so she's given plenty of opportunities to tell what happened. I know it is but isn't a big deal. I don't want to feel it's okay to fib. How do I get her to be more honest? What if any discipline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• #1 quite asking her is she did it. Thats giving her hope that you will believe her lie. #2 Punish her for the crime. Shes 4 and should know that when you say not to do something that means not to do it. #3 punish her for lying. lying shouldnt be tolerated and if left unpunished could lead to problems later.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Quit*
    SabrenaLeigh

• If she was the only person/kid in the room? Why are you asking her? She was not fabricating. She was LIEING. Punish her.

Answer by louise2 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You also need to have a discussion/ several discussions about telling the truth and telling a story. Kids this age absolutely make up stories without realizing there is anything the matter with it. I work in a daycare and I hear stuff like "how did you get that boo-boo?"....child: "the monster did it". That's not really lying because it comes from their imagination, if they really don't know the answer.
    I would also second/third to stop asking her and giving her opportunities to "lie". Instead say, please don't turn up the volume, you know I don't want you to and next time you will be punished. or don't take things that don't belong to you....you probably should come up with some "family rules", write them down and go over and over them since she (probably) can't read yet. She needs the "what is right and what is wrong lesson" continuously. Believe me my son is 20 and the right & wrongs get blurry as they get older
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• has she seen the movie pinocchio?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Or maybe u have a ghost.

That's my 4 yr old's excuse. We punish for lying, normally a time out.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• @ happy2bmom25 no she hasn't,, should she?? I thought she'd be too young
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would spank for lying...I do spank for lying. And for the most part my kids don't lie.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2011