Is this my fault?

Two days in a row now, my almost 4 year old DD has pottied in her pants because, it seems to me she was too lazy to move away from her game. By the time I hear her say "mommy I need to go potty" I get up from my chair to tell her to please go, she's already gone in her pants. Yesterday, she pooped and today she peed. I turned the game and T.V. off both times afterwards and made her clean up her own messes and clean herself off. I'm really at a loss as to what I should do because she this is not her norm. Should I take her game away completely? Sell it? I feel horrible. I don't know what else to do. She shouldn't be going to the bathroom in her pants.

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do think that telling her no more games if she keeps this up is good incentive for her. I think as parents we should regulate time on all things for little kids and periodically ask them if they have to go to the bathroom.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• take it away until she has a few days without peeing or pooping in her pants and tell her why she is getting it taken away and tell her why she is getting it returned. but wait until she does it again because if you do it right now and it happened like 30mins ago, its not fair and she might get confused
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Perhaps also reminding her when she plays games that she needs to go potty. Or how about reminding her to potty before she starts playing. Yes, she's been potty trained awhile, but our brains go into auto mode when playing games or watching TV, so she may just need to retrain her brain a bit.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Have her sit on the toilet every hour, until she develops better habits

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Don't blame yourself, just start reminding her, and tell her that either she stops and goes to the potty, or you'll put up the game until after she does.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2011