Trying to conceive for last year, but no luck

we have been trying to conceive for the last year with no luck, my periods are always on time, but about 5 days before my period, I begin having a brown discharge (old blood) and then my full period starts. We have tried using ovulation test strips, as directed, and tried to conceive during that time, still no luck. I read online that there are 3 things combined together that cause our periods, but that the early blood could be one of those things breaking down before the others causing the discharge. We are planning a july wedding, and are trying to wait til then, which doesnt seem to be a problem, but would love to conceive at any time. I had my first child, Ryan, 8 1/2 years ago, and havent had a full check up since then. Going in for a full check up after the wedding for insurance reasons...any suggestions?

katieandchris01

Asked by katieandchris01 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Start charting. By taking your basal body temp, it will tell you if you are even ovulating. More accurate than a test strip since they only show the hormone level which will occur even if an egg isn't released.
    Check your cervical position. The higher it sits in your vagina, the closer your are to ovulation. The more open it it, the easier it will be for sperm to enter.
    Last, check your cervical mucous. If you don't have enough, the sperm will not live long enough to make it to the egg.

If by the time your wedding is here, you haven't concieved, the charts you have been keeping will help a doctor decide how to best treat you. Since, lack of mucous is a different treatment than lack of ovulation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You could start charting your basal body temperature (BBT) and other fertility signs to track when you ovulate and figure out how long your luteal phase is. FertilityFriend.com has free online lessons about how to do that and you can track your data for free there, too. If you're not pregnant by the time you see your doctor, you can show him/her your charts to help determine what might be going on. Good luck!
    Trekkie

Answer by Trekkie at 5:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• dont worry about 5 days before your period starts. you need to have sex 12 days after last period up until about day 16, you will know about when your ovulating when your cm or discharge is clear strechy and alot your the most fertile.and when you feel suoer horny LOL. also take the cold pill mucinex 1 week after your period until day 16 that will help make your "evironment" more pleasing to sperm. thats how im sure i got preggo twice
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 7:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Mucinex helps only if your cervical mucus is too thick to allow sperm through.
    Trekkie

Answer by Trekkie at 12:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You can start temping and charting. You may also be under stress if you are planning a wedding or have other life changing events happening in your life. We have been trying almost a year and a half and did a couple rounds of IUI. No luck for us but I have one blocked tube. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.

NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 9:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i had minimal CM and took mucinex and had PLENTY it also loosens it up so it moves around
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 5:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011