Addicted Spouse

Does your husband have an addiction that effects your marriage?

As a Christian woman how do you deal with it? Give Bible verses to help with your answers.

If your religion is other than Bible believing Christianity, what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband has an opioid addiction. It has greatly affected our marriage BUT he has been clean for almost 2 years! He is under a doctors care to stay that way so it puts a finacial strain on things... I am far from christian as most of you know. But I try to deal with things in as loving a matter as I can. I love my husband and don't believe in devorce, so it wasn't an option for us. We worked through things together as a couple. There was a lot of crying but now things are great. We have a stronger relationship now than ever before!! As for how my religion came in to the picture I did alot of meditating and "praying" to get me through. I think my strong bond with my goddess was a huge part in keeping us all happy and health and together... If you need to talk. I'm here.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think we all have and/or are affected by addictions. I am not Christian, I am Buddhist. I try to approach addiction (my own and those of my loved ones) froma place of acceptance and unconditional love. If someone is comfortable with their addiction and it is working for them (and not harming others), then so be it. If an addiction is becoming a problem, I find it helpful to remain non-judgemental and to try to figure out why the addiction is there to begin with. What purpose does it serve? And then the next step is to come up with a different startegy for meeting that need. I find that when I am spiritually and emotionally full and well, my addictions lose their oomph and are easier to discard. So I turn to my spiritual practices, as well as an open and frank psychological investigation.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am Muslim. My husband struggles with a sex addiction. He got caught up in porn and internet chatting and was ignoring my needs. When he would have sex with me, which wasnt that often, he wouldnt care about my needs, he would be very rough and hurt me because thats what he saw on the porn. And he developed many relationships, texting different girls he met online. It has been a year since this all came about and we have finally in the past 3 or 4 months gotten back to normal. It was hard and I had to be VERY tough with him (tough love) I made him change his phone number, he isnt allowed on the computer unless I am in the room with him. I continue to pray for him, and he has started praying again.
    Anonymous