My son gets major anxiety while at the dentist...

Lately, my son has had a few different dentist appts. He is fine until they get him in the chair. Last time, they were able to get him numb for a filling, and after he was numb, he started getting major anxiety. I was able to get him through it, but for his next appt, which is in march, they want me to give him valume to take the edge off for his next visit. I have an info pamplet about using valume, but still kinda makes me nervous.....thoughts?

katieandchris01

Asked by katieandchris01 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i wouldn't use it at this age, this is a good learning exercise for him and you. it helps you soothe him and it helps him understand that there are things that get him frazzled and he can come through it. of course it's up to you what you want to do, but they are wanting to make their job easier without having to deal with a screaming kid. i wasn't there though so i really don't know what he and you went through. i just wouldn't start with the drugs for anxiety at such an early age, it could make it harder for him later to get over anxiety without medicinal help.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I was a dental assistant and I also did my internship in a pediatric office and my advice would be do what you feel is comfortable for your child. Also you want to do what is going to make him the most comfortable because you don't want to scar him right now and him fear the dentist every time he goes. But while working in that setting we had a lot of children who had to have it before their appointments and some could just do the gas but it made them a lot more at ease and comfortable until the realized it was okay and they were okay until the didn't need anything anymore. Good Luck to you and your son.
    Abbysmommy0208

Answer by Abbysmommy0208 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I feel for him, I am phobic about dentists but I am not a fearful person otherwise . I can cope with them now without going ballistic but I had to take medication before visits until my early 20's . The medication helped, I don't know what it was but I never became addicted to it .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If you're not comfortable with the medication, try something else, maybe gas.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I am 44 and I don't blame him! I get freaked at the Dentist too. Valium is just a chill pill. They gave it to my DD for a root canal she needed. She was crying at the thought...I gave her the valium, she came out laughing saying how fast that went. Do what is best for your child. There is no reason to have him freaking out over the dentist if he doesn't have to. Come on, who likes having needles in their mouth? No one! Some deal better than others. I would sooner have 5 kids with no epis's before I would go to the Dentist.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• thank you so much. his appt is march 17th, and I think its a good idea to give it to him....they told me it would just take the edge off, and I think he could really use that!! Thanks so much for the input!!
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011