Cell phones ?

Do your kids have a cell phone if so what are thire ages , and do they take them to school?

Stormy7

Asked by Stormy7 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are just preschoolers, but the plan is that if they want phones, they'll have to work and get their own. No way at school and most definitely no way behind the wheel.
    Well, that's the plan, anyway. LOL
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 5:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• All 3 of my older kids have cell phones. The rule I had with them was they could have a cell phone when they could pay for one. They all got one around 15 and would do things like mow lawns, babysit and stuff like that. When they turned 16 they got actual jobs and could pay for them that way. They could do whatever they wanted with their cell phones. I wasnt paying for them. If they got them taken away then that was their problem not mine lol.
    Now I have 2 younger ones (10 & 6) and I will probably get the 10 yr old one to use when he and the youngest have after school stuff. But they wont be allowed to use it at school or freely. Itll be just for that.

Answer by gemgem at 5:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My son that is 16 has one, yes he takes it to school and i like that he does because if he needs to stay after he can call and let me know and like my earlier post i had he did get into trouble and got it taken away. I also have a 8 yr old and he is way too young to have one.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I was totally against it till one day I had to drop my son off at a party two houses away from the party house. I had two friends outside who saw me and my son, it wasn't like I was dropping him off in Siberia but I just didn't like the fact that we were not connected. That night I told my husband I wanted our son to have one since he was starting middle school. I like it. We gave strict rules, let him know that we will be checking all messages and texts and so far it's been a success. Especially since he does after-school activities. I never thought I would feel this way, and I really did it for me and my peace of mind.

Blessedmomoftlp

Answer by Blessedmomoftlp at 6:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My kids are 3 and 18 months so we shouldn't have to worry about it for a little while. My dh and I agree, as soon as they start doing after school activities, they can get one. But will only have certain numbers in it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My 11 almost 12 & 10 year old have cell phones bc I want to be able to be in contact with them when they are with their friends and such. my 11 year old is in middle school and yes she takes hers to school but my 10 year old does not.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 6:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011