Parental Consent for Abortion?

How do you feel about FOCA and the fact that minors won't need parental consent to get an abortion? Think carefully about your answer and think about it being YOUR daughter, then answer. How would you feel if your own DD was able to get an abortion (a surgical proceedure) without your consent? *please, no sanctimonious 'My DD would come to me if she were pg", since you really don't know what kids will do*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Counseling for pregnant teens who state that their parents will "kill" them if they find out that they are pregnant is absolutely necessary. However, most parents are not going to kill their pregnant teens. Teens tend toward incredible drama. So most parents may be upset or disappointed, but they won't kill. However, that concern should be addressed, possibly by a CASA worker and the Family Courts.
    However, in the vast majority of cases, the parents will at worst yell a bit, and get over it. Then help their daughter to make an informed decision that is right for her and her baby. The tiny minority that are in real danger from their parents can be protected by the Family Courts without taking away MY parental right to make medical decisions for my daughter until she's 18 yrs old. My daughter--My right. I'm sick of the government sticking their noses where they don't belong.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 12:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have to agree with what you said above, it is a surgical procedure! Regardless of your stance on abortion (I am pro-life), whether it is legal or not, if your daughter is under age and wants to have any sort of medical procedure, you, as the parent, should be notified and should have to give permission.
    icook

Answer by icook at 10:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Why?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 10:22 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Honestly, having three daughters myself I am on the fence here. While I worry about the ability my minor child might have in understanding the risks involved with such a procedure, I wouldn't want to force my daughter to go through a pregnancy she wanted to terminate. Pregnancy as a minor also carries risks to my daughter's health. Would it be fair to make her accept one set of risks over another?
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• They are minors, I am responsible for my child's behavior in the eyes of the court. How can a minor not consent to legal contracts but consent to medical services? A minor cannot get married, join the army, sign a contract at a gym, register to vote, sign credit applications, and a myriad of other contractual activities.A minor can’t even purchase cigarettes, alcohol, or nyquil. I think it is WRONG to allow a child to make such a decision without parental consent.
    myame

Answer by myame at 10:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yet the child is ready to have a child? That's what this is all about, right? The parents right to deny the minor an abortion and force her to have a child?
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 10:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I respect my daughters. I LISTEN to my daughters. While they are young(currently), I hope that I am setting the foundation for them to ALWAYS come to me, no matter what.
    Taking the parental consent away, allows the minors to DISSCONNECT from parents at a time, they need their parents most.
    Minors are prone to peer pressure, I would like to have an opportunity to LISTEN. If you take the parental consent away, IMO you allow a child to be swayed by other minors/peers AND my opportunity to listen wasn't allowed to occur.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am TOTALLY outraged at the prospect! They are still minors under your care, custody and control! I'll fight this all the way! My oldest daughter is 22 on Tuesday, so I have no say there, but for my 16 year old, oh no freakin way ANYONE will be allowed to do ANY procedure on her without my consent! PERIOD. What happens if something happened to the child during the surgical procedure, who is responsible then? This whole thing is insanity if you ask me! The brain isn't even fully developed until age 21, so they do NOT have the ability to fully rationalize ANY decision they make, they aren't developed to know the rationale behind any choice. I'm totally outraged at the notion of this!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• (cont)
    pardon me, my opportunity May not be allowed to occur.
    Children are afraid of their parents they can't talk to them? So they get an abortion without consent?
    To me that is a parental issue and they need family counseling NOT a law allowing children to bypass parents.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• cluelesscarrie.......NO. I have five children, my oldest will be 22 as I said prior. My other daughter is 16. Though both of my daughters are very much pro-life, like grlygrlz stated, we as the parents MUST have the opportunity to discuss the options with OUR daughters. My children and I have VERY open communication (sometimes too open with my adult child - lol ), to take MY rights away as MY CHILDRENS MOM is not only a moral dilemma, it is a civil right violation! It is a decision between PARENT AND CHILD, NOT the government giving them an out to hide things and have procedures done that put their physical life in jeopardy not to mention their emotional and mental health at risk! NOPE!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2008