Does anyone have a young child in therapy? What questions should I ask, or what should I expect?

My 6 year old daughter has always been emotionally mature, however she still has only the life experience of a child to process her emotions and because of that she is having issues. Her father and I went through a custody war with her, she is terrified of his girlfriend who for 4 years now has done nothing but scream and bad mouth me in front her - her father is no help even though I know he loves her. She's begun to tell stories that have no truth to them or very little truth and it is causing even more issues between me and her dad, which is unfortunate because her father and I had been getting along for awhile. I've been saying for over a year now she needs therapy, her father was against it because he had his own issues as a kid and hated every therapist he saw except one. Finally today he agreed she needed help. I once mentioned to her before that she may be going to therapy and she flipped out, refused to go which I found odd because she's never been to therapy before and I've never mentioned it to her or in front of her before that point. I'm worried about what kind of person she'll be if she doesn't get help now, her issues are affecting her relationships with me, her father, and her sister. My younger daughter is the opposite of her sister, she is a normal 5 year old in every way and if she has a problem with you she doesn't avoid it. She isn't afraid to offend me or her dad - if she doesn't want to stay at her father's house she tells him so whereas my older girl is too afraid to tell her father she doesn't want to go to his house. I try to tell my older daughter that she can tell me anything without being afraid that it'll upset me - I tell her its only her happiness that matters and that I won't be mad or sad about anything she tells me but her father has it drilled in her head so bad that she won't talk to either of us except for these stories...she tells her father what she thinks he wants to hear and she tells me what she thinks I want to hear. So her father and I decided its time she see a therapist but I want to ease her mind about it, the problem is I've never been to therapy and have no idea what to expect. Also I plan to call several child therapists but I'm not sure if there are certain questions I should ask to find out which therapist would be best for my daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just let the therapist do their job....they will ask you lots of questions and ask you to clarify things as they come up...they're the ones asking the questions so just relax and look forward to working some things out. =)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 3:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2011