Do you let your child watch tv to go to sleep?

Yes? No? why?

I let ds do it during nap time, he has a tv and dvd player in his room. We've been debating it for bed time too so we don't have to lay down with him. People seem so against it though like its hurting him somehow. Both dh and I need the tv on to fall asleep. It stated for me in my 20's when I lived alone. But Dh has been doing it since he can remember.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know a lot of people who do this....I don't because he sleeps better if he doesn't have it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• nooo he listens to baby einstine :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• sometimes
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• no. we did, and then i spoke with a freind who is a pediatrition and a sleep specialist. I told him our son was having problems with sleep waking and sleep walking. he asked about our bedtime routine. after telling him, he explained that the brain needs at least 30 minutes to mentally "shut off" from electronic stimulation, and when they fall asleep with tv (or any kind of eletronics) their brains are still active, which casuses repeditive waking or sleep walking. he said anything that settles the mind down, like reading (books, not electronic screens), warm bath, and such will cause the brain to relax and be able to sleep well. so we tried it. we read for half hour before bed now. no tv for at least 30 minutes or more before bedtime even if we can't read for some reason. since about a week after starting this we are back to all of us getting sleep! no more sleep walking or waking. cont..
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 7:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• but on the occasion we let him watch tv and fall asleep, like on the weekends, we all have a bad night of settling him down from sleep waking. It's been about 9 months since speaking with my friend, the doctor, and it's changed our lives for the better. our son still has a tv in his room, but tv viewing is limited, monitored, and always off at least 30 minutes before bed. i don't buy into the claims that tv viewing casues add/adhd, obesity, or such, our son has none of that, and i know plenty of kids who watch no tv that have those. I just get the no tv before bed thing now. hope our story helps:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 7:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No. My Husband and I agree that Our Son will not have a TV in His room until He is much older, or maybe never. Who knows what will happen later down the road. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I used to but quit hoping it would help my dd's sleep walkin it hasn't but she is a little easier to get up in the mornings now lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011