Its pretty cold where i live like 44 degrees. i do put my portable heater on at night and my3 yr

ds does sleep in our room WITH the heater on . we have him in our room to be safe. but during the day i have just been LAYERING US BOTH UP. Bc those heaters can be harsh on the electric bill. my son has a thermol on pants on sock shoes a tshirt and a jacket. am i not being a GOOD mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• 44 degrees? wow, I wish it was like that here in Michigan. its been in the teens latley, and it goto -10...so THAT IS COLD! lol. u must not be used to the cold. And when the electtric went out for a few days in our area-Id have to bundle our kids up too. my 3yo son and 4mth old daughter (then). Ur doing a great job bundling up ur child.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We in in Texas it 70 here but it feels cooler about 2 weeks ago we were having very cold weather low 20s 30's but it only lasted for 3 to 4 days but when I sent my kids to school I had them wear a t/shirt a long sleeve shirt then another shirt on top s/s with a pair of jeans and long socks but at night I would have them wear sweatpants and tuck the legs inside their socks like little boots bc as we sleep our pant legs tend to go up and with the socks over the pant leg it helps them to stay put. GL Yes you are being a very good mom. Stay warm.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Are you saying outside its 44 or inside your house? If it's outside, as long as your house is warm, then yes, your doing a great job. If it's inside, turn on the dang heat!
    Anonymous

• its 44 inside . but thats why im layering clothes
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• So, get rid of Internet, and pay the extra money your paying towards things like the Internet, to keep on the heater...
    Anonymous

• You are doing the best you can for your son. You are being a good mother. BTW- anon, did you think that maybe they don't have central heat? I know a lot of people who don't have central heat. We didn't have central heat for a couple of years and had to use kerosene heaters. She is doing what she can with what she has.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• my mom pays for my internet. i told her i dont need it but she wants me to have it so i dont feel isolated in our house. dh and i share a car so sometimes that can make me feel isolated. thank you ladies for the support.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• She has a little heater, complaining that it's too expensive to run, have your mom put the money towards the electric bill then
    Anonymous

• Our entire house is electric and we have 5 individual space heaters to heat our house. We keep them set at 60 when someone is in the room and turn them off (or down to like 50F) at night in the rooms we don't use (the living/family rooms). Heck, we don't even turn them on in the kids' rooms because the rooms are so small and the kids produce enough body heat that they stay warm with just their pajamas and blankets. We keep it at 65F in our room at night because the baby sleeps in there and he's been kicking his blankets off.
    I've had both gas and electric heat and this is, by far, much cheaper than when we had gas heat. Our gas bill when we lived in PA was like $500/month plus we had an electric bill, too. Now we have just 1 bill and it's about $200/month.
    You need to find a way to heat the house up. Even at 60F we're cold all the time and layering clothes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Do you not have actual heat where you live? Only the portable heater?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2011