Do you think its safe to put on the oven to generate HEAT in the home?

I dont think its safe. my dh thinks its fine ONLY if we are awake

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have an electric stove, so I do that sometimes. Only if I'm awake though. And I keep my toddler far from the kitchen.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Not safe, not recommened- and if a bunch of moms on CM wont convince him, tell him to ask a firefighter!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Electric oven, sure. But make sure there is no way a child could even enter the kitchen. Also prop the oven door open to let the heat out.

Gas oven...no way in hell!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I do it occasionally but only if I am awake.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If you're awake and it's only for a short period of time I think it's ok. But maybe bake something and you can kill two birds with one stone.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Nope...the idea makes me uncomfortable. That said, after I finish using my oven and it's off, I will open the door a little to let the heat out into the house while it cools down but no one goes into the kitchen during that time.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My mom did it once or twice when we were growing up. But I don't think I would now. Just be safe.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I dont like that idea either. Especially since we have a gas stove and our kid LOVES to try to climb in!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No I dont... its not safe at all... u could forget to turn it off... or it could start a fire
    CafeMomApril

Answer by CafeMomApril at 7:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Put it on the clean cycle, then it's locked and your kids can't go near it. I know when I have ours on clean it heats our whole front room, and the heat doesn't kick on... I really wouldn't recommend it unless you have no other source of heat at this time, and the oven is closely monitored, and it's not open!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2011