How do i get them to spend more time outside?

I have 2 girls ages 10 and 12..the 12 yr old is ALWAYS on the computer...I do believe part of it is for homework, and the 10 yr old reads alot and is into the foodnetwork. How can I encourage them to play outside? They dont seem to have the same interests, and our house is back in the woods; we cant see the street from where we are

beetlejuice63

Asked by beetlejuice63 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well start by turning off the internet! They can't use what they don't have. You may have to entice them into going out at first. Go with them...go on nature walks...look online for trees, plants, berries or what not that are common in your area and see how many of them you can find. Get them in outdoor activities. Sign them up for trail rides on a horse or a swim class. Once they learn how fun it can be they should want to do more.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:47 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Along with salexander's idea up there, which is great to go on nature walks and research what you see.....set some rules and boundaries up. No internet for fun until after dark. Take the cord out from the box if you need to and hide it from them until they have earned their computer time every day, or take the cord to work with you. That way you don't have to shut off the internet.
    LOL I had a friend take the Play Station in her car to work to keep her kids off of it until they earned it. I think I even heard of someone unhooking the monitor and taking it with her until her kids listened
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Give them time limits each day for the tv and computer. My son isn't allowed to watch tv during the school week period. And his computer time is very limited. So he wants to go outside.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Same thing. My mom used to turn internet off, and MAKE us go outside, so we had to find friends or play with each other outside. Definitely like the other girls sd, cut off there resources, go on a nature walk, play some games outside, etc.
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 2:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I agree on setting time limits/times they can play on the internet or watch TV. If it's an option, so something as a family. I know it's hard to cut loose sometimes, but lead by example. If you are outdoors with them at times, they may be encouraged to do more on their own. Maybe camping, a scavenger hunt, paintball in the woods (girls can have fun with that too!). Show them how much fun it can be!
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2008