Being induced vs. waiting until it happens naturally

ive only ever been induced.. & now they are trying ti talk me into it again.. eek.. i hated being induced my labors were days long.. & very slow starting out.................but i cant tell if thats just my body from labor period or if it was from being induced obviously not being my thing.....................and was being induced more painful w/ contractions like they say? i have nothing to compare it to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• anyone I have ever talked to was absolutely miserable being induced. They say the contractions are harder and more painful earlier on.....yuck! sounds no good to me!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My personal experience was no difference between natural labor and induced labor. The contractions were not any more or less painful either way. If you don't want the induction then don't do it. Then you'll be able to compare for yourself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Whatever is best for the baby. My first son was natural and the second son was induced. Both were long and I had pain through both!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Pitocin causes more painful, longer, harder contractions. If you can avoid being induced I would. Pitocin is harder on your baby too. It constricts blood vessels that aren't normally constricted with natural hormones- this can cause fetal distress.

Check out the video "Business of Being Born". It's pretty shocking the different experiences people have with pitocin than with letting your body do what it needs to.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 9:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I've had friends that have been induced with no issues and others who have said its the most horrible thing ever. I personally would wait it out til I went on my own. I had my DS on his due date and i'm 35 weeks pregnant now and will wait this one out as well.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I had both and being induced hurt more, but went quicker. Try to wait it out if doc thinks it is safe. Good luck!
    sharveyrox

Answer by sharveyrox at 8:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• It would be illegal to force you.

You have the Right to decline induction, absolutely. !

Even if a mom doesn't *feel* that it hurts more (which overall it is more intense-more painful), it IS risky, harder on baby, and should be weighed against the risks for remaining pregnant. (*As in baby may be safer OUTside than in.)

If you don't need induction then avoiding it is safest.
    There are some ways to find out id you need it~ let us know if you want help.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I was induced four days before my due date and it worked out perfectly. I couldn't have waited longer, I didn't have a single sign of even false labor..so who knows how long it'd have taken. My Son was quite comfy in His Momma-house!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• not sure I am pregnant with #3 and I am not sure yet if I want to go on my own or be induced. I loved being induced cause then I was already at the hospital. Honestly I didn't have any problems being induced. I didn't feel any of my contractions whatsoever until my water broke then I felt them and got an epidural right away so I didn't feel them very long. I would get induced again the only reason I am not sure about this time is because for one it is my last baby and I want it to be little as long as possible lol and another is because I had problems with the epi. with baby 2 I was leaking spinal fluid and had 2 blood patches so I am afraid to get an epi. but I don't want to be induced with no epidural
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• i have been waiting it out.. but I think they are going to make me do it.. & i will listen bcz im not going to tell them NO.. they are worried about pre eclampsia w/ me.. so we will see..Monday is the day i find out if I have to! im 37 weeks now!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2011